1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thug Life: Richard Madeley

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, May 29, 2018.

?

Do you trust this Defence Secretary, Gavin Williamson?

1. No

15 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Veteran daytime broadcaster terminates smirking Tory Defence Secretary:

Nice one, Richard.

knitone and Stiltskin like this.
  2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

about time people like Williamson were told to go away!

vannie and Vince_Ulam like this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Is it because Williamson is a smug, smarmy chinless wonder?

He's nothing if not versatile, our Richard

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Richard who?

5. install

install Star commenter

Mmmm....seems like Richard might be competing with Piers Morgan for tv viewers. It looks a little bit personal and he states to want know 'not on my behalf but on behalf of our viewers'.:rolleyes:

Not realising sooner that many mps don't tend to say 'yes' or 'no' when asked directly may seem amateurish compared to Piers :cool:

Saying that he seems to genuinely care - even though this could have been done in a more tactful and less dramatic manner. This new trend of turning breakfast tv into 'Question Time' seems to be new tv morning fashion these days

needabreak likes this.
  6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Where's Judy Finnigan didn't they always present together?

install likes this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

She’s apparently decided not to do any more TV appearances.

needabreak likes this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

She has retired..as far as I know.

needabreak likes this.
  9. needabreak

Ah good for her.

install likes this.
  10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

That was excellent. I wish all interviewers would cut off bllshttng politicians.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This government - are any of them human beings ?

lexus300 likes this.
  12. needabreak

They'd all be pretty short.:D:D:D

colpee, Stiltskin and sparkleghirl like this.
  13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Ooh, aiming for Paxman's garland?

(ooh, i like the phrase he used 'trumpesque language')

:)

14. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Politicians have never been able to answer 'yes' or 'no', they have just got away with it for so long. 5 minutes of waffling and distraction from the key question rather than being honest - oh yes I forgot - they are politicians.

Although interviewers may press them, there is no direct 'well if you aren't going to answer, there is no point us interviewing you - bye bye'

Wouldn't that be a refreshing change;)

lexus300 likes this.
  15. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

The current Defence Secretary seems to be particularly unsuited to the role.
    A public schoolboy doing a man's job (or lady's).

16. needabreak

Or a woman's job even.

17. coupedeville

coupedeville New commenter

Typical slippery, slimy non response really from Williamson, ( insert the name of any politician. )

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Except, of course, he's not a public schoolboy. Gavin Williamson went to Raincliffe, a state comprehensive in Scarborough, followed by Scarborough 6th form College for his A levels.

Now, the long-serving Labour Defence Secretary, Geoff Hoon - he was a public schoolboy.

lexus300 and Caoimhseach like this.
  19. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Sketch: Little Gavin Williamson is hopelessly out of his depth, not waving but nervously chuckling and drowning

'It has not yet fully been ruled out that Mr Williamson was on a school trip to Number 10 Downing Street in November of last year, when the Prime Minister found herself suddenly in need of a new Defence Secretary. The name ‘Gavin!’ may or may not have been shouted down a corridor and in walked this 41 year old prepubescent boy who has been gainfully trying not to get found out ever since.'
    Independent.co.uk, 22nd May 2018.

20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

AlthoughTom Peck's limp joke is rather ruined by the fact that most people know that Williamson was the Prime Minister's Parliamentary Private Secretary for several years and was the government chief whip at the time of his ministerial appointment. However, I have never known Peck to follow politics in any detail. :(

That's not to say that I don't think Williamson is out of his depth, of course, and it's always good to see more people educated in comprehensive schools having a go at being a cabinet minister.

Last edited: May 30, 2018