1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thrush

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by geniegirl, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I have self-diagnosed myself with Thrush as I have all
    the symptoms and have recently been on a course
    of antibiotics. I have just been to buy a tablet + cream to
    hopefully treat this. However, I have also been experiencing
    some lower abdominal pain, which keeps coming
    in short, sharp bursts. It also keeps becoming sharp to my side
    and my back (I guess, where my kidneys are).
    Could these symptoms be linked to Thrush?
    Phoned docs for an appt today but nothing free until
    the 5th Jan!!

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would suggest calling NHS direct.
    Kidney pains could be linked to a bladder infection (cystitis) which has spread to the kidneys. If that is the case then you need treatment well before 5th Jan.

3. I would agree that you should phone NHS direct. I also had something similar to this a few weeks ago. I found that the creams didn't clear it and I looked at alternatives. I found that taking cranberry tablets and drinking cranberry juice helped with the cystitis feelings and taking a probitoic daily along with this and using something called actigel from Boots helped to clear thrush. I looked everywhere for advice on this and found that these seemed to be the best options. Hope this helps!! :)

4. Thanks for the advice! Think I'll ring docs in morning
    and beg for an appt!

Re:thrush, sorry to be slightly graphic but I'm in
    agony down there! It's sore and so itchy! I have
    excema but this feels even worse! I woke up last night
    scratching and it's now become inflammed! Ouch
    ouch ouch! Just put cold cream on it but it's hurting
    so much!!!

5. I had a really bad thrush infection a couple of months ago. At the time, I thought it was cystitis as I have pretty frequent attacks of that and the symptoms were exactly the same but I went for a smear test and it showed up that I had thrush so I got a phone call from the nurse about it. I would say it does sound like it might be affecting the kidneys now but I'm no expert. Is there not a walk in clinic near you? You could go as soon as possible then.

6. Definitely ask doc to send your specimen off for analysis ... It is possible for thrush to enter the bladder giving rise to cystitis symptoms. Obviously, if the doc keeps giving you antibiotics, this is not going to help you.

Good luck - hope you get some relief ASAP!

7. Try some vagisil (found in supermarkets as well as chemists) to help with itching if you don't get an appointment, hopefully you will.

8. Do you suffer often? If you tend to suffer more after intercourse, then get a swab done for Bacterial Vaginosis, otherwise it's probably down to the antibiotics.
    Definitely worth getting an emergency appointment or even visiting a Sexual Health Clinic, they are not just there emergency contraception and std's. They are a great source of help, and will often be able to by-pass other systems.