1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

threshold

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disappointed07, Aug 23, 2007.

1. A name change to protect anonymity but could people please share their experiences of their threshold application. Mine has been rejected and I'm a little narked by it, well a lot narked actually. I feel really bitter and don't want to play the game in Sept. Why put the effort in (over and above others) if it is not recognised!!!!

2. A name change to protect anonymity but could people please share their experiences of their threshold application. Mine has been rejected and I'm a little narked by it, well a lot narked actually. I feel really bitter and don't want to play the game in Sept. Why put the effort in (over and above others) if it is not recognised!!!!

3. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Which level?

4. to go onto the ups

5. Hey well... I still ahven't done mine so deferring it having taken on a new TLR so I get a raise (I hope next academic yr!)

maddy xx

6. Don't get threshold ... down £1000's right now!!

7. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Level One - is probably the hardest one, because you're getting your foot in the door. Did you follow all the guideline notes?
    Did your school give you a mentor / buddy to look through your application before you put it in?

Finally, make a date with the line manager who turned you down (your HT?) to discuss why it was rejected and how does it need to be improved so you can put it in again?
    You've probably done most of the leg work, so don't be too depressed, it probably only needs tinkering.

8. fudgepuss... care to expand on that?

maddy xx

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I keep meaning to get myself organised and go for it - what did it involve disappointed07? Did they give reasons for refusal - was it your HT turing it down? Do they want to save money?

10. My independent "11 plus failure" school doesnt do threshold

11. aha now that one I knew which was why i left indy and went state 2 years ago!

maddy xxx

12. OP - if your school has a good performanance management system then the outcome of your application should not have been a surprise - I would be asking questions of whomever does your pm if I was in your shoes.

13. It was very surprising. thats the thing! i did go through it with someone who had done it the year before. he went through my statements and my evidence. very much the same as his but i didnt get it. i'm gutted but it shows what the school thinks of me now!

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

probably find oh cant afford your extra cost so deferred..but then i always was a cynic!

15. as teachers or just ordinary folks, when things go wrong or does not turn out the way we like, we try again - a bit like interviews, baking a cake for the first time - we must not give up hope of success. I passed my driving test on the 12th attempt - so just hang in there - hard work will pay off. so, solve this gutted feeling using the research plan cycle 'plan, review, action'.

My first 'ups' was not accepted, yes i felt slightly gutted, but not too gutted to try again. The Headteacher would have hopefully jotted down some notes, as to how the application may be improved, work on those. Make sure you include everything that is required, do not leave anything to guess work (even though the headteacher is on your side), he/she wants to know that even you have done your homework.
    best wishes and good luck

16. Thanks. The one thing I cant change is my results. The HT said these arent good enough and I cant understand why. I do not get on with my HOD at all and I get the crappy classes for exam groups. So, for example, I will have a top group for yr 7 & 8 and get them up to level 7, then they are given to another teacher and I will get the bottom bottom sets! I have not had one GCSE failure or SAT failure and these groups have improved on average of 1.5 levels at least. They are really disaffected kids too so the value added is good! I cant see what to do!

17. my heart goes out to you, the same thing happened to me, preparing classes for SATS and GCSE, then after the mocks, the big switch around, and I am given the low achieving students with major behaviour problems (After all my hard work maintaining discipline from the autumn term...) But guess what.... i went on to Head of Science in another school, and now just finish writing up a thesis.
    Chin up 'disappointed'...you will get there in the end. Try to meet up with an (helpful) Advanced Skills teacher in another school to review your ups application and requirements.
    best wishes and good luck

18. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Dissapointed

I can email mine from a couple of years ago if having someones to look through will help. I really cant remember putting *that* much effort into its composition, so maybe comparing will prove helpful? Though having one in the same subject area as you is possibly best

You can email me at loghenge@aol.com if you want me to dig it out

19. Hi Disappointed. Got my threshold last year. I'm Primary but happy to share if it gives you a few ideas. Was really pleased as we had a new head and he said that it was the best application he'd seen (I pinched ideas from a friend from another school :)). Always happy to share (although I lost money overall because threshold exceeded the retained management allowance I had.) pass me your email address or let me know and I'll stick mine on here.

20. Have you got written feedback?
    If you have low sets but good VA then your results should not get in the way of your application.
    Did you have evidence for each strand?