1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Threshold

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by curlcurlcurl, Jun 29, 2018.

1. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Happy Friday all :)

I'm currently at the end of my first year in a new school and am sitting on MPS6 on the payscale. I know all schools assess crossing threshold with vast differences, I asked my LM/HoD earlier in the year about the procedure and she said it would simply be assessed via PM reviews.

However, following a whole school union meeting, it has come to my attention that all other teachers on MPS6 were sent a form to complete by the end of the spring term to be considered for UPS in September. I was never copied into this emai, nor given any indication about a form in conversations with my HoD. Would the procedure be different for me compared to others as it is my first year at this school? Let me rephrase...should the procedure be different for me, or is it a union issue waiting to happen?

I have an extensive array of evidence from my previous 5 years at another school so proving my worth won't be an issue. I have of course emailed the person who distributed the form to try and chase things up, hopefully it was nothing more than an oversight on their part.

Thanks in advance for all help and advice.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Hopefully they’ve just missed you out and you can apply with the form.

it may be they want two years in their school for evidence and you will need to convince them that your previous evidence was good enough. That should be through the PM discussion. Their pay policy might even state two years in their school. Find it and read it first.

strawbs likes this.
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Agree wth Sundaytrekker; you will need to read the pay policy as it may well state 2 years at that school. I would keep your in school union rep in the loop as they may be able to help.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Is it still being called 'threshold'? I thought that went out years ago, when it stopped being the case that, once you had crossed it, you never went back down again. But do read the school policy on moving to the Upper Pay Range. If there is nothing about having to be there for two years, then I think you have a case for handing your form in a bit late.

Sad that your LM didn't know the policy.

5. curlcurlcurl

I think officially it isn't call threshold anymore, but all of the colleagues and verbal conversations (and in fact the email that was sent out to all other MPS6ers) still referenced 'threshold'. Old habits die hard, eh?!

Also agree that it's a shame that my LM didn't know the policy. I do think that's what happens when people are promoted very early on in careers sometimes though, having not been through the procedure themselves they're unable to offer the correct advice on some things.

6. curlcurlcurl

Thanks for all of the helpful advice, turns out it was an oversight and I've been given the form and allowed to hand it in later due to this.

Although I do think I need to track down the pay policy in general as it isn't located in the handbook with everything else.

Piranha likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes. I think the problem with this is that it makes people thing that nothing has changed. Applying for Threshold used to be a once in a lifetime event, after which you would always be on the upper pay scale as long as you taught in the state system. If you moved school, you were still on it. There were rules for how you got there, which changed occasionally but were the same for all schools. I still have my folder of evidence - no idea why I kept it. Now, to move onto the UPR, you need to convince your school that you are performing very well against teaching standards and making a significant contribution to your school. What this means is left to schools to decide, leading to huge disparities between schools. More importantly, as soon as you leave the school, you are no longer on the UPR unless and until you can convince another school that you should be.

I am glad that it was just a mistake. In my experience, a lot of these things turn out to be errors rather than anything more sinister. Which is why a polite enquiry is usually the best way to start.

strawbs likes this.