1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Threshold progression missed - can it be backdated?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by roofdweller, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Due the incompetence of a former headteacher (who subsequently resigned) my progression to UPS3 never took place. It should have happened in 2007, but it was only in 2011 that a new headteacher was appointed and pay & condition matters got back on track. Rather foolishly, I forgot about it myself but was reminded recently. Assuming the progression now takes place, will it be backdated to 2007, and does anyone have any links to information that I could look through? Thanks in anticipation!

2. Due the incompetence of a former headteacher (who subsequently resigned) my progression to UPS3 never took place. It should have happened in 2007, but it was only in 2011 that a new headteacher was appointed and pay & condition matters got back on track. Rather foolishly, I forgot about it myself but was reminded recently. Assuming the progression now takes place, will it be backdated to 2007, and does anyone have any links to information that I could look through? Thanks in anticipation!

3. I would take a look at www.education.gov.uk or www.teachernet.gov.uk or failing that, your union may be able to advise you. I would think you have a good case for having it backdated, maybe not to 2007, but who knows!
    I reached the stage of qualifying to apply for the first threshold assessment having just returned to work after a two year break, being a new mum, so decided to give it a miss until I had had a chance to acquire some evidence for my portfolio. When I did actually apply a couple of years later, I discovered that I was able to backdate the extra pay by a year, apparently because I had already been eligible to apply for at least a year. I therefore imagine that you have a chance of recouping at least some of the money you have missed out on.
    Good luck.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Backdating of Threshold no longer applies. I don't know of anybody getting UPS2 or UPS3 backdated, but there must be a case for it as it is supposed to be the school who set the process in motion, so they are at fault if it didn't happen. I suspect that there are a lot of teachers in a similar position, so it would be good to see what happens if somebody does kick up a fuss.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

When I was appointed to my present school I was on UP1 - The previous school had had a similar situation to the OP with the head having been sacked destroying all documentation on their exit. I raised a case with the LEA and had my progression through to UP2 and subsequently UP3 backdated 3 years. If you can prove you applied for threshold and the school failed their obligation to observe a decision to pass you, then you probably have a case worth pursuing. If you never applied then I doubt it.

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I think daisy's point is the key one: being able to prove the school was negligent in not processing an application it has received might embarrass the LA into considering backdating, especially if the union rep is on the ball.

Just because you would have been eligible in 2007 does not in any way entitle you to backdating.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I may have misread this, but my impression is that it was the move from UPS2 to UPS3 that was missed, in which case there probably would not have been an application as none is needed. If we are talking about Theshold (M6 to UPS1) then the point about proving an application was handed in is correct.

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

quite right, piranha, my apology, I should have used 'notification' instead of 'application', which I think is required?

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

To clarify :p It was the progression from UP1 - UP2 that was missed.... and my present school asked for evidence of my passing of threshold (hang on to those letters that inform you, as shockingly that is all there is! - No registration ammendment or anything....) and subsequent performance management cycles. The issue came that the previous school held no records... on anything... they could not even confirm that the letter from the then head teacher informing me I passed threshold had been sent.... It is scary to think a school could be so negligent and I indeed doubt my case was an isolated one.

10. Many thanks to all who responded. I've now been in touch with my union and they seem to think backdating is possible but are in the process of checking the rules that applied at the time. I understand that no action was needed on my part to go from UPS2 to UPS3, but that the headteacher at the time may have been negligent and so in breach of contract.