1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Threshold based on just observation?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by theguru, Nov 29, 2011.

1. theguru

theguru New commenter

For all those at my school about to go through threshold we are to be observed by the Head soon. We have frequent learning walks and therefore I feel this is unnecessary. I thought threshold was based on the last 2 years worth of work? I have lots of evidence to prove I have been doing above and beyond and lesson observations have always been rated favourably. Whilst not worried about being observed, say if I or someone else has a bad lesson (we all have off lessons from time to time) the Head may base their decision on this and is not a true reflection of someone's ability or how hard they work. Can the Head do this?

2. theguru

theguru New commenter

For all those at my school about to go through threshold we are to be observed by the Head soon. We have frequent learning walks and therefore I feel this is unnecessary. I thought threshold was based on the last 2 years worth of work? I have lots of evidence to prove I have been doing above and beyond and lesson observations have always been rated favourably. Whilst not worried about being observed, say if I or someone else has a bad lesson (we all have off lessons from time to time) the Head may base their decision on this and is not a true reflection of someone's ability or how hard they work. Can the Head do this?

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I can't see how the Head can base a decision purely on an observation. There is no way that all the standards can show up in just one lesson, although they may be able to pick up on a standard that isn't apparent in your PM reviews. As you say, it is also unfair to pick on one lesson which may not be a true reflection of what happens the rest of the time. I think it is against the rules, but I am not sure.

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Has the head made it explicit that progression will be dependant on the outcome of these observations? if so, be very careful (see my blog on Lesson Observations). Your head may well be manoeuvring towards a refusal of progression in a slithery way.
    The STPCD makes it very clear that porgression is to be based on the previous 2 years PM cycles: any attempt by the head to use these LOs to undermine that process lays them open to a clear-cut pay appeal (better than an appeal against a Threshold application) in which they would have to demonstrate that their decision was a.) based on proper evidence (PM) and b.) not based on improper evidence.
    Start getting to know the STPCD sections about Threshold, you may need them.....