1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

THRESHOLD APPLICATION 2011 UPS2 HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wonreka, Sep 26, 2011.

1. I don't think there is a form. I have just been told to write a letter explaining why I think I should move.... Anyone done this or have an example.... I assume I will need to go and find the standrards and write a brief bit to say how I meet each one and go above and beyond on many,,,,

2. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I have automatically been pushed up to the next threshold twice by my head. The first time I think was to cover his own back on professional development, and he's just put me up again. I think it's up to your head and whether they feel it is justified. My children's points progress last year was good so maybe that's what clinched it.

3. Our school has regular progress reviews conducted between SLT and individual teachers. I guess this is why I 'automatically' received a lett confirming my pression to UP2. I'd ask your headteacher if you are unsure as to what you should do. I think the governors have to have procedures in place to cover this sort of thing also.

4. Would anyone mind telling me how they successfully passed through the Threshold I have just been rejected. Not doing any coaching and mentoring and not <u>contributing significantly to implementing workplace policies ( What is this exactly). </u>If you have been successful please let me know how you achieved these 2 Post Threshold Standards.

5. http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/careers/payandpensions/performancethreshold/b00197624/threshold-assessment-201112-round-12

simravandi likes this.
  6. There isn't a form. It is based on your lst 2 years performance management from the time you initially crossed threshold at UPS1. The same will apply in 2 years time when you are eligible to move to UPS3. Your HT should assess this and if you have had 2 years successful performance management, HT should recommend you move to UPS2 effective from September 1st 2011.

7. There is no form. Progress is down to two successful performance management reviews, so technically speaking every two years.
    Not everyone is successful though. Some schools do just put their staff through, others set targets.
    Find out what is expected. I am on my third year at USP1. I wouldn't want to move further as I couldn't take on more work.

8. Your union!I was the first to go through Threshold with our current headteacher and she failed me on similar reasons - apparently my TA using erasers in pupils work didn't comply to the presentation policy. There were other really petty reasons so I went to my union, after all we pay in excess of &pound;100 a year for their support!
    Once the head knew I had contacted my union I was quickly invited for a review and the award was backdated accordingly.
    Head's monies are tight so some will make it as difficult as possible for you to progress if it will cost them.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You could ask in your school what you can get involved in for this coming year and have them as PM targets. Then move to threshold next year.

For mine I have mentoring students and NQTs for the coaching and mentoring one, and this coming year will be doing the MaST programme, involving a bit of coaching.

For the workplace policies I have things like teaching demonstration lessons where I have shown implementation of new literacy or planning policies. And working with teachers to show them how they can use the new planning formats and how they can incorporate some of the new policies into their lessons.

10. Thanks for the replies. I am going to speak to the union but feel really fed up and am inclined to say stuff it I'll just be a plodder and do the minimum I can !!!!

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which is perfectly fine and a great many teachers are. But it isn't what the post threshold UPS was designed for.