1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Threshold (again): what can we do?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by blackdog99, Jan 16, 2011.

1. As far as your first point is concerned I really do think you are being very hard on yourself. Surely teachers are meant to be reasonably intelligent individuals and are able to read. Finding out about Threshold rules is not at all difficult for anybody.
    The point I am trying to make is that the individual teacher has a certain responsibility to make themselves aware of the rules.

As far as your second point is concerned, I would contact your union at ( at least) regional level for further advice.

2. coppull

coppull New commenter

Suggest to SMT that you use part of one of the wasted days in school on Threshold Training.[​IMG]

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I think part of the issue is just this: we don't have any time to think, let alone to be trained in useful things!
    I have suggested to my colleague that she speak to her union, and I'll do the same, but I also know that we'll both get the "we're in a deficit" speech from the bursar.
    I DID say, when I handed her PM review over, "I have agreed her progression to UPS1" - but there's a little bit of me that wonders whether the scheduling of all the meetings and reviews (which came from on high) might have been designed to get in the way like this... or maybe I'm just a cynic.

4. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

It is my understanding that there is no need to apply for progression through the upper pay scales and that if you don't progress the onus is on the Head to tell you why in writing before the October deadline. Don't know whether anyone on here can correct me or otherwise on this.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Why not? If this was a school rule, then I would check your school's PM policy to see if it meets with the timings outlined there. There is an obligation to have review statements and pay recommendations recorded by the end of October to allow for progression. Unless specific time was put by for achieving that, I would argue that your school is at faut for causing such a delay.
    That said, that won't negate the fact that she hadn't submitted the necessary form.
    As for your progression, the governing body have a statutory duty to consider the pay progression of all teachers on the staff by 31st October. What form is your bursar suggesting you should have had?
    Contacting your union seems the most sensible option to me.