1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Threshold 2009- 10 Anyone know about the changes?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rousset, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Hi,

I would really appreciate any advice and knowledge anyone would be able to give me regarding the impending change to the Threshold process in September 2009. I have also posted this on the 'Pay and Conditions' forum to hedge my bets! Apologies to anyone who has already seen this!

I have been on M6 for a few years, and due to moving schools, moving house and an assortment of other factors, I have not yet applied for threshold. I wanted to apply for it in the Autumn term next year, and had intended to utilise this time during the summer holidays to make a start on filling the application form in etc. However, if the process is due to change, then this would obvisouly be pointless.

I have read something somewhere that the application process for threshold from September 2009 will be different, and now I can't find where I read this, or whether I dreamt it! I also placed a post on the TES a while ago, and received some advice then, but unfortunately, I can no longer find this post. I think that I read that moving through the Threshold will be determined through Performance Management targets and reviews instead of completing a threshold application form, as is the current process. Have I got this right?

If that is so, what will happen in my case? I have been in my current school for a year, and will have a performance management review of the targets set last September in September 2009. Prior to my current school, I held 2 temporary contracts in two different schools (for 18 months) and was not PM'd. Prior to the temp contracts I held a permanent contract in a school for 5years and was PM'd there. If the Threshold is determined through PM's then I would have only recieved one (in Sept 2009) in the last 2.5 years...so what then? Can they go further back to the previous permanent contract where I was PM'd, or must the PM's be in your current school, and is there a time limit when considering/including historic Pm's?

I also read somewhere that the Threshold pay awared is going to be significantly lower in September? Is this correct?

I did talk to my current Headteacher when I started my current job, and she sought advice from the LEA who said that as I was unknown to the school, and had been on temporary contracts for the previous 18 months, that A) the school did not know personally of my abilities, and B) as I hadn't mentioned Threshold to the headteacher's of the schools in which I held temporary contracts, I could not use my 'evidence' from these schools. I got told to apply next academic year, which is now Sept 2009. Hence I gave up on the idea of beginning the process last year, and am now feeling as though I may well be in a catch 22 situation in applying in Sept 2009.

Last question, I promise (sorrry) I realise that Threshold, should it be awarded, is backdated. But, is it backdated to when one qualified for it, in otherwords reached M6, or is it backdated to the academic year when one submits an application? If the latter, then it will be yet another year that I will miss out if I have to wait until next year in order to be PM'd twice by my current school.

I have looked, in vain, on Teachernet, DCSF and the internet for any advice, policies etc regarding this change, and am getting very fustrated that I can't seem to find anything that is up to date. Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong places.

Sorry for my lengthy post, but if there are any experts out there, I thought it best that I clearly painted my situation so that if anyone is kind enough to offer advice, they are able to do so with more ease.

Thanks again, in advance, for your help.

2. Hi,

I would really appreciate any advice and knowledge anyone would be able to give me regarding the impending change to the Threshold process in September 2009. I have also posted this on the 'Pay and Conditions' forum to hedge my bets! Apologies to anyone who has already seen this!

I have been on M6 for a few years, and due to moving schools, moving house and an assortment of other factors, I have not yet applied for threshold. I wanted to apply for it in the Autumn term next year, and had intended to utilise this time during the summer holidays to make a start on filling the application form in etc. However, if the process is due to change, then this would obvisouly be pointless.

I have read something somewhere that the application process for threshold from September 2009 will be different, and now I can't find where I read this, or whether I dreamt it! I also placed a post on the TES a while ago, and received some advice then, but unfortunately, I can no longer find this post. I think that I read that moving through the Threshold will be determined through Performance Management targets and reviews instead of completing a threshold application form, as is the current process. Have I got this right?

If that is so, what will happen in my case? I have been in my current school for a year, and will have a performance management review of the targets set last September in September 2009. Prior to my current school, I held 2 temporary contracts in two different schools (for 18 months) and was not PM'd. Prior to the temp contracts I held a permanent contract in a school for 5years and was PM'd there. If the Threshold is determined through PM's then I would have only recieved one (in Sept 2009) in the last 2.5 years...so what then? Can they go further back to the previous permanent contract where I was PM'd, or must the PM's be in your current school, and is there a time limit when considering/including historic Pm's?

I also read somewhere that the Threshold pay awared is going to be significantly lower in September? Is this correct?

I did talk to my current Headteacher when I started my current job, and she sought advice from the LEA who said that as I was unknown to the school, and had been on temporary contracts for the previous 18 months, that A) the school did not know personally of my abilities, and B) as I hadn't mentioned Threshold to the headteacher's of the schools in which I held temporary contracts, I could not use my 'evidence' from these schools. I got told to apply next academic year, which is now Sept 2009. Hence I gave up on the idea of beginning the process last year, and am now feeling as though I may well be in a catch 22 situation in applying in Sept 2009.

Last question, I promise (sorrry) I realise that Threshold, should it be awarded, is backdated. But, is it backdated to when one qualified for it, in otherwords reached M6, or is it backdated to the academic year when one submits an application? If the latter, then it will be yet another year that I will miss out if I have to wait until next year in order to be PM'd twice by my current school.

I have looked, in vain, on Teachernet, DCSF and the internet for any advice, policies etc regarding this change, and am getting very fustrated that I can't seem to find anything that is up to date. Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong places.

Sorry for my lengthy post, but if there are any experts out there, I thought it best that I clearly painted my situation so that if anyone is kind enough to offer advice, they are able to do so with more ease.

Thanks again, in advance, for your help.

3. In anticipation of some changes to the threshold assessment process and access to the upper pay spine for Round 10 and in the light of forthcoming Performance Management review/planning meetings which many schools will be undertaking early in September, it is appropriate to alert colleagues to the following changes.
    • From 1 September 2009 (Round 10) teachers subject to the Performance Management Regulations 2007 will be assessed for access to the upper pay spine against the post-threshold standards (P standards) based solely on performance management outcomes.
    • Information and data that schools collect for performance management should be capable of being used in a number of ways. In keeping with this principle from 1 September 2009 schools will use the outcomes of their last two performance reviews to assess whether a teacher meets the post-threshold standards.
    • Therefore teachers will no longer need to provide separate evidence in support of a threshold application.
    • The elective nature of the threshold application will remain and teachers on M6 will need to make an application to indicate formally their wish to be assessed.
    • Performance reviewers, who may or may not be the headteacher, will be responsible for recommending whether or not teachers access the upper pay spine, in keeping with their existing responsibilities under the Performance Management Regulations 2007 in relation to progression along the upper pay spine.

4. The following note has been agreed by the DCSF and Social Partners. Further detailed guidance should be available later this summer, but this note highlights some important matters of which teachers and head teachers need to be aware.

1. It was announced in WAMG Note 21 (published in July 2008) and in the Round 9 Threshold Guidance (published in August 2008) that, with effect from September 2009 (Round 10 of Threshold), schools in England will normally only use the evidence recorded in a teacher’s performance management (PM) review statements covering the two year period prior to any application to assess whether he/she meets the post-threshold teacher standards.

2. The specific reference to ‘over the two-year period prior to any application’ above is designed to ensure that the evidence is as recent as possible and clearly demonstrates that the teacher has worked at the level indicated by the ten post-threshold teacher standards for a sustained period immediately before the application is submitted. The evidence should cover the two years leading up to and ending at the date of their application though some exceptions may apply. The Round 10 Threshold guidance will include details of the evidence base for all teachers in England, including exceptions.

3. WAMG note 23 (February 2009) indicated that reviewers and reviewees could use the 2006 Performance Management regulations to meet mid-cycle to make sure that teachers are ready to apply for threshold assessment in Round 10. The note also indicated that the window for threshold applications has been extended with effect from Round 10 for those subject to the 2006 Performance Management Regulations to 31 October 2010. All successful applicants in Round 10 will be paid with effect from 1 September 2010.

4. As an interim measure to further ease the way into the new arrangements, we consider that it will be helpful for headteachers to meet each reviewee who intends to apply for Threshold in Round 10, together with their reviewer at the earliest opportunity before the end of the 2008/09 PM cycle.

5. The purpose of these meetings is to ensure that the 2008/09 performance management cycle has provided sufficient evidence for an appropriate assessment of a threshold application to take place and, if necessary, to identify where evidence may need to be strengthened. Should a need for evidence to be strengthened be identified the reviewer and reviewee should consider and agree the outcomes that the 2009/10 PM cycle would need to provide to enable fair assessments to be made at the end of the cycle should the teacher elect to apply for threshold assessment.

6. Such meetings sit outside those required by PM regulations and are not pre-assessment meetings but they will help ensure that headteachers themselves are well placed to assess fairly and accurately applications they may subsequently receive. Any revisions following such a meeting will reside within the performance management process.

7. The Department and its Social Partners are also discussing changes to the relevant sections of the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document and the Department’s Threshold Guidance for Round 10 which we aim to issue around the end of the current school year.

5. I think this makes it a bit clearer and cuts out all the jargon.
    Changes to Threshold (Round 10 - 2009/10) <font size="3">Background</font><font size="3"> </font>Current arrangements for threshold applications for 2008/9 (Round 9 - until 31st August 2009) are similar to previous years although the application form has been updated (see <font color="#800080">www.teachernet.gov.uk/threshold</font>). However there are significant changes from 2009/10 (Round 10 - from 1st September 2009) onwards, where teachers will be assessed against the post threshold standards based <u>solely</u> on performance management outcomes. [/b]
    </td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:241.7pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;"><font size="3">Process 09/10</font></td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:241.65pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">n

Could someone advise me as to how I could apply for this as I have only ever had one Performance Management meeting with my headteacher and she has since left??

6. Thanks for all that information v3884. Where did you find it?
    So it is based on the last 2 PM's then...but what if you haven't had 2 PM's in the last 2 years? What then???
    What if the targets set in PM's are quite 'basic', let's say for example; 'organise and arrange for outdoor storage' (Silly example, I know, but it's similar to one of my current PM targets.) What evidence could a person provide other that the visual fact that there is now storage outside, and perhaps copies of email arranging the said storage! It proves that the target has been achieved, but a photograph and copeis of email can't suffice surely?!! Mind you, having said that, I'm not complaining if they have made it that easy!!

7. I went through threshold at the end of 2008 (from M6 to 1st rung of upper scale). As I'd missed out on it when I should have done it a few years earlier, I had it backdated a year. Could I have done the next stage this year? (too late now as we're on summer break) If I do it next year, can I get it backdated again?

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

echoed and repeated, v3884, do you have links to those quotes?
    Do you mean your threshold was backdated to September 2007 or 2008? If the former, then you are eligible for UPS2 this coming September. The decision should be made by October 31st, not sure if the regs quoted above signify that the payment can begin from September 1st or not, check with your local union branch.

9. EBC

EBC New commenter

Thank you for all the information - It does make sense.
    So to go back to the beginning, where can we find the form to apply for threshold.?

10. DFC

DFC New commenter

I think this is right but please correct me if my thinking is wrong.
    Threshold applications for cohort 9 had to be submitted to the appropriate person by 31st August 2009. These applications had to be supported by evidence from the preceeding 2 years. After 1st September you don't apply on a form anymore. It is based solely on performance management, cannot be backdated and will not be put into pay until Sept. 2010
    I assumed that performance management targets would be at a level consistent with the payscale you are on or wishing to aspire to - so PM for an UPS3 would be significantly more demanding than for a person on say M2. If you achieve your PM objectives then you will be achieving the appropriate threshold standard and therefore entitled to the threshold pay.
    Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

11. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

My understanding has been that if you have not been PMed twice then you have not been subject to the 2006 regs and therefore will still use the Round 9 form. Haven't looked at STPCD 2009 yet - it seems to be available only as a single PDF, wot a trawl.
    The standards for post threshold teachers (Post Threshold) are indeed different to MS (Core) but do not change as you move from UPS1 to 2 to 3 as some heads might have you believe. The regulations only require 'sustained and substantial contribution' and 2 successful PMs - 2009 regs may change this of course.

12. Hello all, my querey about <u>threshold </u>is this please. I held posts of responsibility several times until I left to live and work in the States in 1998. Since my return in 2006 and I have been long term supply teaching on M6.
    No one can really explain why I am not across the threshold because of my previous experience.
    Because I am 'only on supply' no one is willing to pay me more than M6 and I have not been in any one school long enough to get any paper work etc completed to cross thethreshold and have not had any PM meetings.
    I am now in a year postion and the head has suggested I start the paper work and cross the threshold. He has told me to down load and complete a form.
    Any help with this? I have read several posts yet am still confused about the requiremenst and process, let alone why I wasnot able to pick up where I left off.
    My personal email is londonlouis06@yahoo.co.uk
    Thank you

13. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

14. can someone please answer my question.

I am going to be starting a new job in january. Should i make my threshold application to my current headteacher or wait till january and make it to the new headteacher???

Also within the last couple of years i have had only one performance management. Like someone else said my targets were very basic to.

Can i not look at the post threshold targets with my headteacher and say which i feel or she feels is the targets i need to work on.
    Then work on it throughout the year. Then sumit my application in sepetmber 2010 before october 31st 2010?
    am i over simlifying it????

15. Hi guys, I'm applying for threshold this year in my new school which i started in january. In my performance management my new headteacher wouldn't even look at my last two perfromance cycles.
    She wants me to do it like the old application where we evidence how we have met each point with appendices. I was ill in the last week of term and never saw her before the summer holidays. She has said i need to hand my application in before august 31st. I was going to e-mail her my application but then she still needs my appendices with my evidence. i was going to post that to the school?
    Do you think that is ok? or would she turn around and say in september i didn't recieve it before the 31st? Anyone in similar situation or got a better idea for me?

16. From September 2009, Threshold applications are based upon the evidence contained in the PM documentation for two years prior to the application. For most teachers, this will be two PM review statements, but you may have more (if you have been employed in more than one school in that time) or less (if you have been on maternity or sick leave)
    You do NOT need need to submit the older style form stating evidence for each P standard. TeacherNet has information Guidelines and the Round 10 form you need to submit.
    Teachers who are covered by the 2006 Performance Management Regulations
    must submit their requests between 1 September 2009 and 31 October 2010 - so you have plenty of time yet!
    What your head wants is unacceptable. Request assessment quickly when you get back to school, using the model form from TeacherNet. Your Head has a professional dutyto assess your application. (S)he can (and probably should!) contact your previous employer if (s)he wished to confirm your previous PM reviews. You should hear back within 20 days of the Head's decision being notified to the Governors, but most Head's would probably give you some idea of the outcome before that!
    If your Headwill not consider your application based upon your PM reviews, contact your Union for more advice.

17. so it's literally the form where you write you name etc and that's it?!!! I sent this to my head and I think she thinks this isn't enough and I need to say where I've met the standards. hopefully she'll find out that I don't need to!

18. Am i right in thinking that we fill the form in but also have to give evidence of where we have met our performance management targets? If so it seems pointless as during the pm review the pm person would have discussed this....so do we give evidence for meeting pm targets or not??? very confusing....

19. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

If you have been through the standard PM process, then no, you don't provide separate evidence. The form explcitly says, in fact, that the only evidence you can submit is your PM review statements.