1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Three Year GCSE with no OFQUAL Approved Specs Yet?!

Discussion in 'History' started by zbaker, Jun 28, 2015.

1. zbaker

zbaker New commenter

Hi All

I wondered if anybody is facing the same issue as I am. We will be running a three year GCSE from September meaning examination will be 2018 first round of the new Specs. As yet all boards are still in draft form, no textbooks or other resources have been published that I am aware of.

Is anybody else wondering what to do? Does anybody else have a plan? At the moment bridging months or even the best part of a year may be needed! Would love to hear from colleagues who are trying to plan in the same situation.

2. We are in the same situation. From the exam board point of view they are 2 year courses so they are giving us plenty of time. I am thinking of starting with a skills based unit of work based on the draft specs. I can't even choose an exam board atm.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Were I in your position (and, as a retired History teacher, I'm obviously not!), then this is what I'd do - work on background historical topics to the period/countries/events you think/hope to study, and work on the skills that will definitely be useful - use of sources, developed writing etc. Above all I'd try to keep the history interesting, otherwise there is a chance some pupils will switch off before their real course starts...

Of course this is a problem caused by any school allowing 3 years for a 2 year course... Poor planning!

4. zbaker

zbaker New commenter

thank you for the feedback. Yes Indeed we are reluctant to nail our colours to a mast until the SAMS have been approved and we know how the different boards will be assessing in terms of AO allowance, wording of questions etc. This 3 year business is certainly a problem for this year.