1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Three weeks to go ...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Zimrilim, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

Just that. The longest academic year I've ever experienced. You lucky UAE people. You've already finished.

2. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

You still in the UK ?

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Where are you? It's not just the UAE. I'm in Southern Europe and we've finished too. Didn't realise there were international schools that opened that long

yasf likes this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It's TODAY! Hooray! Mrs. Hippopotamus and I will be off to Greece next week.

yasf and Sundaytrekker like this.
  5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I finished at the beginning of june

yasf likes this.
  6. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I finished last week.

7. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Im in the UAE and haven't finished yet and nor have most of the people I know. Some did leave last week tho.

8. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

We finished 3 weeks ago.

T0nyGT and yasf like this.
  9. dumbbells66

Always check the contact days on the contract. 180 is about average internationally. I have heard of some very dodgy schools in China having 200 contact days....thats 4 more weeks than average, and a week longer than UK state schools

10. RoadToRags

RoadToRags New commenter

Just finishes yesterday, and will be back in Mid August. Teach at one of those dodgy Chinese schools with 200 days on the contract. School is not so dodgy though, and my life is 10x better than in the UK. I suppose I get to look forward to the future cushy contract with extra holiday that awaits when I choose to move. ;-)

11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Schools in China that follow the state number of official holidays work 200-220 days including many Saturdays. So check the small print in the contract for the number of working days not just the number of weeks on the calendar, some bilingual schools I know work 3 Saturday mornings a month.

So 7 weeks of RR here before returning for a week of school preparation with no students.

12. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

Also in the UAE and term ends on July 4th, back Aug 25th.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  13. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

Lord no. Ecuador.

yasf likes this.
  14. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

We checked our contracts in English and Spanish before leaving the UK but what we were presented with here was very different. Btw both the Zimrilims are fluent in Spanish. Having Spanish mums helps. So much to @dumbbells disgust, we're off to work in Spain where the circle began 30 years ago.

15. dumbbells66

Best of luck to you. I hope you dont come anywhere near the horrendous time i had.

16. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

Too old and enough money saved up. Residency before Brexit. Thank you my dear.

yasf likes this.