1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Three universities on the brink of bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Education news' started by gigaswitch1, Nov 2, 2018.

1. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

Only the strong will survive. I wondered how long it would be before a uni went bust and to top it off, they now they want to screw the taxpayer for bailouts. I can see this getting worse as more people are given the apprenticeship option.

Link

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  2. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

One of the greatest frauds perpetrated on our young people is the idea that university education is the be-all and end-all and will lead to a good job and higher wages. Far too many youngsters are dropping out or leaving the university of nowhere (aka the former local college) with massive debts and in many cases a totally useless qualification. And as for the "quality" of education offered by some of these places - don't get me started. Some people seem to be able to get degree-level qualifications despite being barely literate which not only makes their debt unfair and insulting but totally devalues the whole system.

Politicans of all parties need to recognise that academic and vocational routes are equally valid and that both are vital to a properly functioning society, adequately fund universities for academia and colleges for vocational and technical routes, recognise a wider range of vocational qualifications for KS4 teaching and allow schools to encourage and guide young people to follow the very best path for them personally regardless of the impact on the school's P8 or any other nonsensical data measuring device.

So - in case it's not clear - while I will feel for those involved in the immediate aftermath, I will not be sorry to see some of these places close their doors.

Catgirl1964 and Alice K like this.
  3. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I am guessing (from the descriptions) that one of the Universities is "Bolton University". Is, and always was, a complete joke.

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

The Guardian says that Sussex is one of them - I don't know much about it, but it's not one of the newer ones.

agathamorse likes this.