1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Three predictions for 2012...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tafkam, Dec 31, 2011.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I can't seem to find a thread for last year, but it had been something of a tradition previously to offer three predictions for the forthcoming year as the current year came to an end. Since we last tried this in 2009/10, the most succesful outcome for 2010 appears to be:
    which wasn't the most exciting for most of us, although seemed quite unlikely at the time!
    Rather surprisingly, from the year earlier, cq predicted the following for 2009:
    It appears that she was only slightly ahead of her time!
    So...anyone care to offer their own three suggestions for what might happen in 2012? (Perhaps we ought to put a limit of one about Olympic-related overruns and distasters [​IMG])

2. tafkam

My three predictions:
    1) Vince Cable will leave the cabinet (or be re-shuffled!)
    2) Prince Philip will see the Olympics, but not the end of the year
    3) William & Kate will announce pregnancy

3. 1) Cameron will face a crisis and blame the previous government.
    2) There will be an explosion in Emmerdale Square Street .
    3) The Duke of Edinburgh will not see the Olympics.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

The Duke of Edinburgh will not want to see the Olympics.
    President Assad will be deposed.
    Old Moore's Almanac will be written again.

5. Someone will leave Boris unattended during the Olympics and he will press a button marked 'Do Not Press This Button'.
    Then the Mayan prophesies will all come true.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yvette Cooper will make progress towards being Labour leader.
    House prices will drop a bit.
    Michael Gove will finally say something so stupid his head will actually explode.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm going to go for safe options.....
    • There will be an outbreak of a new variant of some sort of super-flu somewhere like Japan, China or Thailand. There will be cases reported in the UK. Mass panic. Newspapers will have a field day. After about 3 weeks nothing more will be heard.
    • There will be record successes at GCSE and A-Level.
    • The government plans to reform benefits will result in more people finding themselves unable to claim either ESA or JSA - and thus without any income. The transfer from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payments will result in thousands losing their benefits as Lower Rate is effectively wiped out. But the government will announce the reforms have been an unmitigated success. Tens of Thousands of pounds will have been 'saved'....and no-one will be able to say where the money has gone.

8. It can't be denied that thousands are on sickness benefits who shouldn't be, so that unemployment figures could be lowered. Getting them onto other benefits would be a success.

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Are we only allowed three?
    • household fuel prices will continue to rise
    • Cameron will pick a fight with another country (a new war) to boost the economy
    • there will be more riots

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

1. The continuing crisis in the Eurozone will impact on our economy, reduce tax revenues, and cause the government to miss its borrowing deficit repayment target. This will result in a wave of compulsory redundancies in state education and other public services during the 2012-13 financial year.

2. There will be a direct military exchange between Iran and the USA or Israel.

3. Items connected with Captain Scott, The Titanic, and the Royal Flying Corps will fetch record prices at auction in their centenary year.

11. 1)That on Tuesday a certain percentage of Tessers will be bemoaning the fact that they haven't done their marking and that school starts tomorrow.

2) By mid July a certain percentage of Tessers (apart from Belle de Jour who will have broken up in Mid May and will be on her 7th foreign holiday) will be desperate for the holidays to begin or their heads will explode.

3) By the end of July a certain percentage of Tessers will have Lassa Fever and bemoaning the fact that " why does it always happen to me ?"

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

1) I predict that Bauble's predictions will be correct.
    2) I predict that my first prediction will be correct.
    3) I predict that my second prediction will be correct.
    There is a lot of pressure on you now, Bauble [​IMG]

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

O.K. I am going to win this.
    3 education predictions.
    1) There will be even more NQTs unable to get a job to start their induction
    2) The change in the teachers' pension will be pushed through, despite opposition from all unions and wide disruption in schools due to strikes
    3) GCSE and A-level pass rates will reach record heights, despite opposition from all unions and wide disruption in schools due to strikes, and the newspapers will say it is because the exam boards (sorry: Awarding Bodies) gave inside information to teachers to allow them to cheat
    So what's the prize for the successful soothsayer?
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

15. Not much of a soothsayer if you don't know. :¬))

16. 1) the Euro will cease to be legal tender!

2) Prince Phillip won't see out the year (very much hope I'm wrong I quite like prince Phillip)

3) Fox flu becomes britains biggest killer!!

17. tafkam

Amendment: Thatcher will also die within weeks of the Duke of Edinburgh.

18. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Agree with TheoGriff and Bauble and Tafkam - sorry - not very original.
    HOPES for 2012
    Michael Gove will realise he talks a load of rubbish and will resign
    Academies - someone will give clear guidance (this from a head based in Lincolnshire)
    Curriculum review - get on with it!!!

19. Blackburn Rovers will be out of the premiership (despite Mr Cs joy today)
    There will be riots in Westfield when the Olympics are on
    The coaltion will fall

20. 1. My son will NOT retrieve his coat from a New Year's Eve party.
    2. My son will NOT retrieve his hat from a New Year's Eve party.
    3. My son will NOT retrieve his wallet from a New Year's Eve party.
    Grrrrrrrrr...........................................