1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Threatening Parent

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fez_man, Jan 28, 2011.

1. fez_man

fez_man New commenter

I have a parent who when I have contact, the parent is always intimidating, threatening, aggressive and abusive.
    My line managers up to my Head knows about this, but still do nothing when I have to have direct contact with the parent.

I find this to be very frightening and a cause of stress to myself.
    Am I right in believing that if my line managers know of this, surely they should protect me under duty of care which is outlined in employment law rather than leave me exposed to this threat.
    Also, is there anything I can do in law to stop this harrassment? If a shop worker or a bartender was treated in this way then management have perfect right to stop the customer entering their premises.
    Hoping for some help
    F

2. fez_man

fez_man New commenter

I have a parent who when I have contact, the parent is always intimidating, threatening, aggressive and abusive.
    My line managers up to my Head knows about this, but still do nothing when I have to have direct contact with the parent.

I find this to be very frightening and a cause of stress to myself.
    Am I right in believing that if my line managers know of this, surely they should protect me under duty of care which is outlined in employment law rather than leave me exposed to this threat.
    Also, is there anything I can do in law to stop this harrassment? If a shop worker or a bartender was treated in this way then management have perfect right to stop the customer entering their premises.
    Hoping for some help
    F

3. Duty of Care is an intresting part of employment law. I use to work in an industry where, when people complained, they would often shout and be aggressive (it wasn't airline related, but think EasyJet complainers). Ultimately it was my job to deal with that. The company satisfied 'Duty of Care' by ensuring I was not alone and having a desk between me and the customer.

I would say that in your situation that you would be within your rights to refuse to call the parent. Simply had it to you HOD to do. This will remove you from the situation.

4. princesslegend

princesslegend New commenter

I really feel for you as I was in a similar situation, which turned into a witch hunt. You should ask your line manager to be more pro active in the way they help you. My situation got so bad that I had no alternative but to refuse meetings with the parent and my line manager went instead.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

5. 1) Put your concerns in writing to Head / line manager and union rep asap.
    2) <u>refuse to see the parent without a colleague present</u>
    3) Minute every meeting you have with the parent - <u>do not be alone with them</u>
    4) If the behaviour happens again put in a complaint about the parent and ask if another teacher can cover any meetings
    5) make sure all your paperwork is up to date about the learner and ask for another collegue to verify what you say about the learner if possible
    6) if this doesnt stop the harrasment and intimidation you are receiving insist your union rep does something about it
    good luck

6. fez_man

fez_man New commenter

Thank you for your comments chequeoff.
    Discussing this over lunch, there is apparently the option of legal representation against a threatening parent, should it happen actually in the school building.
    This is in much the same way as a member of public/patient can be prosecuted for being intimadating of threatening in a hospital. The hospital can and will posecute.
    The worrying aspect is that no one in management proactively sought to stop the meeting, thus they have failed in keeping their staff secure.
    F..

7. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Insist that the parent makes an appointment to speak to you then make sure that you always have a colleague with you at the meeting,