1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

threatened

Discussion in 'Governors' started by noiceycar, Mar 5, 2013.

1. A governors meeting got a little heated, well one governor got heated. They shouted at another governor making her cry and it ended with the governor stood up, shouting at me 'You be careful,'
    to which I asked 'Are you threatening me?' Followed by again 'You be careful!'

Obviously I have 11 witnesses, and can completely say I did no wrong. But I am not prepared to be threatened.
    I am the staff governor. I know if a parent threatened me aggressively like this, I would be able to have them restricted from the school grounds.
    Does this apply to governors?

2. A governors meeting got a little heated, well one governor got heated. They shouted at another governor making her cry and it ended with the governor stood up, shouting at me 'You be careful,'
    to which I asked 'Are you threatening me?' Followed by again 'You be careful!'

Obviously I have 11 witnesses, and can completely say I did no wrong. But I am not prepared to be threatened.
    I am the staff governor. I know if a parent threatened me aggressively like this, I would be able to have them restricted from the school grounds.
    Does this apply to governors?

3. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

You should have a code of conduct / practice for your governing body. If you haven't take a look at the NGA version here:-
    http://www.nga.org.uk/Resources/Useful-Documents/Code-of-Practice.aspx
    You have the right to make an official complaint via your schools complaints policy, although I should add that many complaints policies in school do not seem to cater for a governor complaint. Assuming that the 'other' governor was not the Chair, make your written complaint to the Chair (if it was the Chair make it to the Vice Chair).
    The options to deal with this incident are many from a robust conversation with the governor about their conduct to training and the ultimate sanction of suspension (1 day to 6 months) or removal if not elected by the appointing authority.
    Frankly, this type of behaviour should never occur in a Governing Body Meeting, and most certainly could be construed as threatening where the boys in blue might want a quiet word in their ear.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/education/going_to_school/la/plans_policies/school_banning_orders.htm
    Scary isn't it that someone like that wants to be a school governor. I wouldn't like to think that they might go in to observe in a classroom.

Is their CRB check clear? Was something said which could reasonably have provoked him / her that much?

5. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

The banning order from the Education Act for members of the public, ex pupils or parents does not apply to Governors on Governing Body business. It might apply to governors if they were in school in a different capacity and were threatening. So you might be able to ban a parent governor (as a parent) from school but not from Governing body business. There are more than sufficient measures to deal with unruly behaviour by school governors after all the incident mentioned does have sufficient witnesses.
    It is also not the job of a governor to check the status of another governors CRB Criminal Records Bureau which is now called the Disclosure and Barring Service ( DBS ).

6. Nor is there a requirement for governors to be CRB / DBS checked. Governors should complete a pre-appointment checklist which goes to the local authority and a check done from that.

7. Is this realy the kind of people you want in a school? Or near kids?
    Go to the police and ask the people making the threats to resign otherwise you go public at the local newspaper.
    It is the only way. If you do not deal with it in this fashion then kids will learn of it and ehat kind of example is it to accept this kind of rubbish?

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You don't think that's just a teeny weeny bit excessive? Two adults have a heated argument in a private meeting, just the once, no children present, verbal argument only, and you're going to the police? And the local paper? What would you have recommended if he'd actually hit him?
    Not advice I'd follow noiceycar.

9. Nit entirely true in these days of academies. Thevcharity commission has been requiring all trustees of educational charities to be crb checked for some years now. All academies are educational charities, so all academy govs should be crb checked!