1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thr Royal Mail. Good old British bonkers.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Oct 5, 2015.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Parcel was delivered Friday. Too big for letter-box so I got the inevitable card.

Turned up to the Royal Mail today and was reading the notices.

"Hmm, I'm sure I remember filling in one of those cards. If I'm not in, Mr Postie, then try 11,12 or 22."

I checked with guy at the desk. Bless him, he admitted at once it doesn't work! So many people completed the cards that the posties take no notice!! So the parcels are brought back. Only NOW there's more administrative faff because it was thought the parcel returns would be reduced! So he's not thrilled.

Brilliant! I filled in another card. Just in case. You never know!

It's given me a right laugh. Which is OK. I have the leisure to be faffin' about round the borough for my parcels. I bet some people get quite cross though.

Anyone else encountered this? You filled in the card but your post still got returned???

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have a fantastic postie who delivers small parcels galore to the inner door..Never lost for a smile and comment and thats in London.
    I never have problems with RM parcels.but i do have with yodel who leave them with anyone in the street willing to take them.

3. grumpydogwoman

Well, we only moved in July and sometimes I leave the porch open and sometimes I don't. Hell, sometimes I leave both doors open. If my cleaning lady is here or the builders. I go out and they go out and there's nobody here if she's taken the dogs! Then the postie will bring them in to the hall or porch.

But this one time I locked the front door! That'll teach me.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Our postie is pretty good about leaving parcels with neighbours. I do have the kind of neighbours who would notice her knock and come out offering to take things from her.

5. grumpydogwoman

Well, all my neighbours are lovely but the ones on the same side of the street just wouldn't see the postie and, by the time Keith put down his gardening shears and crossed the road, it'd take too long for 22 to respond.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Our postie posts little dog treats through the letter box, stops the dog going barmy when he's putting stuff through and makes her very happy to see him if there's a parcel and we open the door. He even gives the dogs a treat if he sees them out being walked when he's on his rounds.

7. grumpydogwoman

Fred'd bite his fingers off!

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I once had a 'package' delivered when I was out and had to collect it from the Post Office, where it attracted a fee of £1 because it was a first class stamp.

When I collected it and paid the pound, it turned out to be a Mother's Day card from my daughter. Apparently, if cards have something on them that sticks out, even a little bit, you have to put a more expensive stamp on.

We seem to have developed a reciprocal arrangement with number 9 and number 15. They take ours, we take theirs. We have a lovely post lady, but it all goes t**s up when she's not on duty. We never get post before 1pm and sometimes it's about 5pm.

BUT, I did get a parcel delivered by Hermes on Friday, exactly when the tracking said it would be and I was in!

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've never filled in a form but post and other deliveries are usually left with a neighbour, we're all quite friendly round here.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Years ago I arrived home from work (different house) and found one of the cards. I battled through rush hour traffic to the delivery office, eventually found somewhere to park and picked up my parcel. It was a slim box containing advertising material for a car showroom - I was furious and ripped the glossy photos up and posted it back to them without a stamp.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

Well, my neighbours are lovely too. it must have been some random postie who didn't know the score! Grrrr.

But I loved the way the chap at the office was so matter-of-fact about it! "Yeah, it's not working."

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Not his problem though, is it?

13. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

I didn't know anyone used the word "postie" in real life.

14. grumpydogwoman

It is though. He said it's a lot more administrative work for him this way. The system 'expects' the postman/men to deliver it somewhere or other and they've made it harder for the office staff when it comes back so the guys back at the office would rather the posties didn't bring it back. He explained it and it's now twice the work to get it to you as it used to be.

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I stand corrected then grumpy!

Are couriers paid for the number of parcels actually delivered, or just those for whom an attempt at a 'drop' has been made. I ask, because I'm constantly reading and hearing about couriers who don't deliver, or fling the item randomly in the general direction of the driveway/garden. Or those who push a 'sorry you were out' card through the letterbox, when the homeowner has been in all day. Mind you, our letterbox is so noisy, I'd here it in the bathroom with the door shut!

16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Once I returned home to find a card about a parcel he couldn't deliver. He wrote that he'd dropped the parcel over our side entrance gate. We don't have a side entrance gate!! Luckily, we're on good terms with our neighbour who retrieved the parcel. The postie hadn't dropped the parcel over the gate, he threw it! It contained a picture frame with, obviously, a glass in front. Thank goodness that sender had parcelled it up very well!!

On another occasion I returned home to find a shredded card from the postie. My dog had thought it was for him to play with!! I took the shredded card to the post office and joined the long queue-it was middle of December! Everyone was cheesed off with waiting, including the staff as the office was over heated and airless. When I got to the front of the queue, I dropped the shredded card on the counter. Everyone just burst out laughing at my embarrassment!! :oops:

17. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I get really fed up with all this. MrRemfan is in during most days.... I work day time... he works evenings. No one else around here seems to be in day time so hence we get to take in parcels for the whole world and its aunt. This means I get ppl calling for their parcels throughout the evening. Of course on the occasions we are both out daytime....rare but it does happen.... there isn't anyone to take in anything for us...so I have to traipse off to the collecting office. That is a right pain too.

As for delivery parcels I bought MrRemfan an expensive coffee table book on George Harrison - A Christmas present - only for the Amazon delivery person to chuck it over the 6' garden gate. the book was damaged and I refused to accept a less than pristine book for the price - so it got sent back (again a pain.

I am dreading Christmas time as next door orders so much stuff online - last year even the even tempered husband got narked over the hall cluttered with boxes and trying to take them out to some of the houses.

Anyone have a solution to all this?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Dogs shredding the post are bad enough but one of my grandsons used to post everything straight back out, the postman took to knocking and handing the post over personally.

foxtail3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

Hele, you could refuse to take them. I know it seems mean but I think it's your only option.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Generally speaking I have no gripes with Royal Mail, but two problems I've had are

1. The 'couldn't deliver' card being pushed through the door when I'm at home and they haven't bothered to knock.

2. A recorded delivery parcel going missing in the system (ie nicked by an employee) and Royal Mail only offering a piddling book of 1st class stamps as compensation for an item worth over £50. I challenged this and mentioned the magic words 'Trading Standards' - my £50 compensation cheque arrived shortly afterwards.

A word from the wise - if your parcel's worth more than £50 use Special Delivery, not standard 1st or 2nd Class.