1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thousands of parents to take children out of school in protest over 'stressful' exams

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Apr 29, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I absolutely fully and wholeheartedly support any form of protest against this dreadful system which puts such pressure on little children.

Sadly I think that damage has already been done - I've heard too many stories of primary school children taking tests home for weekend practice, attending revision classes in the Easter holidays and crying over these stupid exams.

It's wrong wrong wrong and well done for the parents for having the balls to do something about it.

gomezla, Shedman and SportyK like this.
  3. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

I like the idea and would love it to be successful and well supported by parents. It's nice that they care about the system that their children are suffering through and want to make a stand.

I wonder how many of them are in conservative constituencies though and how many have written to their MPs to protest.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My cousin is one of the parents who started this.

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It was definitely promoted at last weekend's 'Parents Defending Education' meeting. I get the feeling it will be well supported in London, and maybe other large cities, but is probably less well known about in the leafy shires. Having said that, at the tiny village school where I do some support work, parents have asked the head about it.

6. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

we are in the depths of the south west, a school you would never realise was there and a couple of our parents are considering taking children out during SAT week.

another, large, local academy has been expecting children to stay til well after school, attend breakfast revision and take papers home. If that is the way to raise standards in an academy, G o d help us! What ever happened to childhood?

lilymay23 and guinnesspuss like this.
  7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

That's what should be happening. It won't affect the education of the child

That's all academies are interested in. They are Exam factories.

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Buy him a drink from me!

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It became a time to be coached, tutored and drilled. It became a time to jump through academic hoops. It became a time to be judged, compared, measured and tested. It became a time when the celebration of creativity, exploration and the joy of learning was sacrificed on the altars of league table rankings and OFSTED judgements. If you have tears, shed them for lost childhood.

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

In our area most don't really seem to care. And there are still some parents who read Ofsted's reports to select a school. And most don't know about observations going on in schools and all the paperwork. NHS staff seem to tell the public about it. Teachers don't seem to.

guinnesspuss and Landofla like this.
  11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Unfortunately it's not just academies. My daughter goes to a lovely, small church school and she's been sent home with three test paper, some reading and a revision booklet to do over the weekend. This is on top of the test paper, spellings and reading she's already had to do this week. She only sees her dad every other weekend and he's a bit cheesed off that their time will be spent on hw.

She came home today with the news that school is providing breakfast for year 6 children in SATS week.

The school appears utterly desperate that the children do well. It's tragic.

emerald52 likes this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Teachers do, but the public don't accept it. They can't see beyond 9.00 - 3.00 and 13 weeks' holiday. They see NHS staff at work over night & weekends - they don't see us planning, marking, assessing, recording, analysing & attending meetings every evening & weekend - not to mention working during holidays.

13. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

I spoke with a parent this week, who's other half is a governor at our school. This person said that s(he) had their 'eyes opened' by what s(he) now knew. This person was amazed and likened our role to that of Doctors. Prior to this s(he) didn't know what really went on s(he) had no clue and thought that teaching was a soft option. Now they're very upset by the system and pressure put on pupils but sympathise with us. If only there were more people who felt this way in the public.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  14. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

"Camokidmommy said:
    we are in the depths of the south west, a school you would never realise was there and a couple of our parents are considering taking children out during SAT week."

But it already has, Compassman. All the good time wasted in "preparing" for the tests.

NarnianRoyalty likes this.
  15. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

These tests are idiotic, unreliable, have no purpose and stop teaching and learning from happening. All schools should boycott them. Good on the parents for taking a lead.

guinnesspuss and sparkleghirl like this.
  16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Barmy, ill-considered idea from rabble-rousers.

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Way back in the 1980s, teaching was fun, but still hard work. There was planning & marking to do, but it was possible to have a life, and even a holiday in the summer. However, I was still working many extra hours in the evenings.

I still recall vividly my mother (who spoke her mind!) overhearing two people on the bus sl**ging off teachers, the short hours they worked & the long holidays they had. She, true to form, interrupted them to tell them about the hours I worked - and that was 30+ years ago, not today's slave culture. It's only those who live with teachers who understand our workload & its implications.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  18. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

They wouldn't have to be rousing the rabble had teachers & HTs taken a stand.

19. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Taken a stand against what and why?

20. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

This parent protest seems to be gathering pace. There is a lot on my social media today. The parents seem to be disliking the DofE's micro management of the curriculum and testing due to Gove's original interference.