1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts please...staffing changes

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by timeforanap, May 5, 2012.

1. Your thoughts/experiences welcome, please.
    I have a teacher who I want to move from class-based role to wider role across school (PPA, mgt cover etc). Several reasons but key one to support her in widening her experience - I suspect she may not view this as a positive and will resist. I am clear it's the right thing for the school, and that it will help us in supporting her in her next UPS review and also in her ambition to take on leadership roles.
    I've always been confident in my understanding that as HT I can direct staff to work wherever I choose, as long as within terms of job description, contract and no detriment/demotion. I'm confident that I'm not breaching these. BUT HR are telling me I have to have her agreement or I risk a grievance being taken out.
    Is this right? Anyone sone this and had problems? Would appreciate any ideas which I should be thinking about.
    Thanks.

2. Your thoughts/experiences welcome, please.
    I have a teacher who I want to move from class-based role to wider role across school (PPA, mgt cover etc). Several reasons but key one to support her in widening her experience - I suspect she may not view this as a positive and will resist. I am clear it's the right thing for the school, and that it will help us in supporting her in her next UPS review and also in her ambition to take on leadership roles.
    I've always been confident in my understanding that as HT I can direct staff to work wherever I choose, as long as within terms of job description, contract and no detriment/demotion. I'm confident that I'm not breaching these. BUT HR are telling me I have to have her agreement or I risk a grievance being taken out.
    Is this right? Anyone sone this and had problems? Would appreciate any ideas which I should be thinking about.
    Thanks.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It sounds to me like hr want an easy life. You're entitled to move a teacher wherever you see fit. I can't see how this could be construed as a demotion.

4. Thanks Curlygirl - my view too. And yes, I think in this LA they'll do anything for an easy life - am new to the LA and am finding this on many levels!

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I think you could do some groundwork with the teacher to make the post seem more appealing. Hopefully that would prevent any problems.

6. Thanks for comments. I don't see the role as demotion, nor is redundancy an issue in our school, but am aware that some teachers may not want the role. If I were to combine it with some of the areas suggested, I would also be looking at having to offer a TLR, which I'm not prepared/able to do. I'm confident I've identified this role as appropriate for the teacher concerned at this stage of her career, and it's also the right thing for the school, but am thrown by HRs advice of not to do this without full agreement from the teacher concerned. Has anyone had experience of grievance being brought in similar circumstance, or is HR just going for the easy option here?

7. You wouldn't need to offer a TLR. They are for leading teaching and learning. Subject leadership doesn't need a TLR.
    However, I am confused as to why you would move a strong teacher to this role (unless they are a senior member of staff who needs to be non-class based to complete their leadership role). As PPA cover teacher they will be teaching little bits therefore not impacting on pupil progress. It would seem more sensible to give a weaker teacher this role so that they are not having an adverse effect on progress.

8. Not necessarily a 'strong' teacher jellytot. Focus for change on role is on professional development opp rather than comment about teaching capability.

9. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

My former head did something similar to me. I was informed that it was in the best interests of the school, and the pupils. (It was a BESD setting)
    Cue recurrance of severe attendance problems with the pupils, behavioural problems intensifying with the affected group, and a very very disgruntled teacher who lost the opportunity to complete PM targets as a direct result of this move. (Increasing attendance with that particular group, which I was doing....go figure....)
    May need a lot of selling to encourage the member of staff to agree to the change comfortably.
    B x

10. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

However, the staff member may FEEL it is a demotion. That is an important factor, isn't it?

11. Yes - staff feelings are important, but never more important than what is the best thing to do from the whole school perspective. Obviously, I will want my colleague to view this as an opportunity and I will be taking this decision with the desire to provide the sort of professional devt she has identified/asked for, as well as it being good for whole school development but going back to the beginning, my question is more about whether the HR advice I've been given is correct in that I can't do it without her agreement.
    Thanks for all comments, much appreciated and reassuring that my original thinking was right.

12. HR are wrong. So long as you're not changing her contract/ hours you can reasonably direct her to work any teaching role in the school.

13. Thanks for this - much appreciated. You know what it's like when you think you know something and then something is said which challenges this and you doubt yourself?