1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on this China job offer?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Leaps7, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Leaps7

Leaps7 New commenter

Quick background: I'm a PE teacher in the US, with 12 years experience teaching PE in public schools. I have my bachelors degree in PE and health, and a masters in leadership. I'm currently applying to PE jobs overseas. I'll be bringing my spouse, who is not a teacher.

The offer: Bilingual school in Tianjin. PE department head.
    3,000CNY housing allowance a month
    10,000CNY airfare per year
    24,000CNY a month before taxes
    Full medical for myself, but not spouse.
    2 year contract. 13th month salary at end of completing second year of contract.

What are your thoughts on this offer?

2. robspillane

robspillane New commenter

It depends what factors its based on. Is it a great school? Will you be working 4 hours a week? It's subjective. Are you happy with it? Is that enough for a head of PE in your eyes? You know what the job entails and will it be a step up from what you're getting now? Or will you be working harder for less? The housing allowance is low but I live in a more expensive city.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It looks pretty good to me. I would be a bit unhappy about the lack of medical care for Mrs. Hippopotamus. I was paid more or less the same as an ordinary class teacher in SZ, but I do not know anything about Tianjin. Pollution levels would be my first thing to research!

4. ChaiLattePlease

ChaiLattePlease New commenter

I would say it’s quite low, especially for a head of department job. But perhaps cost of living is very low in Tianjin.

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Numbeo says that where I am in Hefei, things are a bit cheaper here, but not convinced by some of the numbers on there. Anyway my package is as a bog standard teacher and I guess it similar to yours 20k RMB per month but that's *after* tax, so guess it's maybe similar to your offer, but we get an 8% *pension* bonus each year (4% Jan, 4% June) and a guaranteed approx 10% pay bump each year, I think it maxes out after year 4 though. We also get the extra month at the end of the 2 year contract too. Accommodation and all utilities are free here, the only thing I pay for is food. Do get full medical for all of family though, wife and 2 kids. Airfare well they just book one return trip to and from London, guess it's similar value to what you quoted. Most important thing is we are ALWAYS paid on time.

Bottom line my deal is pretty much in the same ballpark as yours. HOWEVER I had to take what I could as was screwed over by school in Middle East pulling job offer in July so had little choice in what I took as very few vacancies. Maybe I got lucky and got a reasonable deal, I get the impression it is pretty much on the mark for reasonable, but nothing special. Still we can quite easily survive as a family on half of what I bring home each month.

Anyway hope that helps you work out if what you have been offered is fair. Depends on the tax rate really I guess...

6. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

I think it's quite low especially considering that you'll have to pay for medical insurance for your wife. This can be expensive. Try to negotiate and get this included in your package. Furthermore, is the flight allowance just for you? Finally, do your research regarding cost of accommodation as well, 3,000 rmb does seem low.

7. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

PM sent.

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

it would be very low for Beijing. Still low for Tianjin. It's not horror show, slave labor low though and you likely would still live fairly well and and maybe save a bit (depending on your lifestyle).

By point of comparison, a so so school in Beijing could easily pay 10K rmb more a month in salary and another $2-3K in rmb for housing (with better schools paying even better).

If you are itchy to get overseas, you could do worse.

9. Leaps7

Leaps7 New commenter

Yea, I thought it was a bit on the lower side. Thanks for the responses.

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yup, it is a bit on the low side, if you take into account the HoD thing. That ought to be worth more.

11. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I would steer well away from this. The fact that an employer is not willing to offer one of their employees medical insurance for their spouse speaks volumes about them and how they feel about their staff Imagine the scenario where something awful happens and your wife is taken ill, you will need ABSOLUTELY top notch insurance to make sure that everything is covered and that will cost you about half of your monthly wage. Plus if it happens outside one of the main centres of population, say you fall off your bike whilst in Yangshuo, then you will need to be flown to a "proper" hospital too, not worth the risk imho. I would cite this as enough of a reason not to take the post.

12. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

If it is the infamous 6 Letter School in Tianjin, certainly stay clear. If it is, look at the thread by Ruthwill. There is only one worthy school in Tianjin and it is not a Bilingual School.

13. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

My husband and I applied to some schools in Asia, although the cost of living is cheap; there is still a huge gap losing £3-4000/month. We stayed put. That salary is low considering your 12 year experience and masters.

14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

What the school has done is offer you double a Chinese teachers salary and accommodation with added health and flight allowance. But this is a standard offer for bilingual schools in China. Even at a rent-a-name school you will struggle to find 36k salary with 12k accommodation allowance in Shanghai.

The renunciation package for expat teachers in China is plummeting faster than the GB Pound falling from the white cliffs of Dover.

15. ChaiLattePlease

ChaiLattePlease New commenter

Where are you now?

16. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Middle-East. We're both HoDs.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    ChaiLattePlease likes this.
  17. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

@Leaps7 - I don't know Tianjin or salaries there, but it looks low to me. I would expect at least 30k+ a month, especially as HoD with 12 years experience and a masters. Medical insurance should be for trailing spouse too. Are they paying for BOTH yours and your wife's visas and associated costs e.g. medical tests, document attestation etc? This can be a fair sum - maybe even 2000usd+ for the two of you. Without an increase in the 24k, and ALL medical/visa costs for BOTH of you covered by the school, I personally wouldn't touch it.

18. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The schools in China can offer low pay and conditions as too many teachers with iPGCE's flooding the market.

No need to offer good pay and conditions when a school can employ an unqualified teacher for half price.

19. emilyoboe

emilyoboe New commenter

I have been 4 years in China and this doesn't seem reasonable.
    1. Spouse should be covered in health care. What does it say about the school if they aren't (community etc)
    2. The housing seems low, especially for a significant city. What would 3000 get you? We are in a smaller city and get 5000.
    3. The bonus is only 1 months wage at the end- this is normally a % of the annual wage and is often higher (as you don't get a pension).