1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the AQA graphics Exam

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by dttrainee, Jun 11, 2011.

1. dttrainee

dttrainee New commenter

I haven't actually seen the paper yet = was teaching so I didn't get a chance to go up and get it.

What did they have to design for section A?

2. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

Yeh, just posted a reply elsewhere on the GP exam and picked out the PLC as example. However it was thankfully not worth a huge amount of grades and I think it would have made some sense to the majority of our pupils. These exam boards love their rogue questions!!

Cheers
    Spencer

3. Section A
    1a.(2 ideas) design a teaching aid to help children learn how to tell the time. It must include the following:- Movable hands, manufactured from 2mm white corrugated board, easy to assemble, stable and freestanding on a primary school table and be able to flat pack for storage in a tray in the classroom.

1b(i).develop a surface decoration for the face of the teaching aid
    1b(ii) Show how the hands are attached to the face of the teaching aid to allow movement.

1.c produce a 3-D drawing
    1d. Evaluate the effectivness of your design.

Not too bad a question, guess it's not the most exciting of design questions either!!

4. 'thankfully not worth a huge amount of grades'

Unfortunately it was! 14 marks, and on last year's paper the grade boundaries were around 9-10 marks, this could be the difference between a B and a D!
    I thought it was really tough, 'throw away lifestyle' and 'built in obsolesence' are on the Edexcel A2 spec! Hope the mark scheme is forgiving.

5. How can it be "rogue" when it clearly states in the specification.
    Have an understanding of product life-cycle including design introduction, evolution, growth, maturity decline and replacement.
    They were shown in a graph and as it was the quality of communication question some of the eight marks will be for that.
    Also these are raw marks , the paper and controlled assessmsnt have to be scaled to give the correct 40/60% split. So effectively the 120 marks on the paper get reduced to 40, whilst the CA goes from 90 to 60.

6. dttrainee

dttrainee New commenter

doesn't sound too bad - I think most of mine would have been ok with that. We haven't done a lot on point of sale staff so the folding flat and freestanding part might confuse them a bit but otherwise I am pretty confident my kids would be able to answer most of that. thanks for sharing.

7. dttrainee

dttrainee New commenter

point of sale stuff - not staff!

8. The grade boundaries of 9-10 marks per grade were for the raw scores on last years exam. But the topic is in the spec and the graph really helped. My students didn't complain but I did think it was a bit out of the blue.

9. It cannot be "out o f the blue" when it is in the specification - that is why they are published.
    Aqa Graphic Products Grade boundaries for 2010 New Specification from AQA website
    120 Max mark 83 A* 72 A 61 B 51 C 44 D 37 E 30 F 23 G it says these are scaled marks but they are only for Unit 1 as unit 2 the course work was not available last year. So need to be taken with the proverbial pinch of salt.
    What you will notice is the higher grades are further apart than the lower, and interestingly there were 37 marks above the A* boundary. So clearly last year they didn't do very well. Reading the chief examiner's report says the same thing. And only about 10% of a normal entery did this paper so it is hardly typical.
    Wait until the results come out.

10. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

I have had 7 local schools contact me direct over this issue. My head of GP went to the AQA standardisation meeting and was told that if it is not contained in the Lonsdale publication they recommended at the time, then it would not appear in the exam.
    Yes its in the spec, but come on it was a bit random, but hey this is exams boards.
    And if everyone was so prepared why are we all discussing it in the local and area and on forums like this one? And remeber it was a Graphics exam, product life cycles, even if in the spec is a bit tenuous. Just my opinion though[​IMG]

11. I totally agree with the above comment- the PLC question was very random indeed, i'm sure my pupils used a bit of common sense but it definately caught them out, I believe the question is related to Business Studies rather than Graphic Products. Also, we use the Lonsdale books in my school as they are affordable for pupils to purchase, not all my pupil can afford the £12 AQA Nelson Thornes Revision Guide.

Has any purchased the new AQA Graphic Products Text book by Geoff Westell, is it any good??! Quite steep at £17.

12. As far as I know AQA only endorse the Nelson Thornes books, so if someone at a meeting made the statement you quoted it couldn't have been official. It seems very dangerous to say what will appear in an exam, when the Ofqual rule is that everything in the spec has to be tested in the lifetime of the qualification.
    Also if I remember right, Lonsdale may have published early before the specification was officially available. If so their writer(s) probably concentrated on the basics and more predictable aspects - and it is only meant to be a revision guide - albeit a very good one
    Hodder have just launched some D&T for AQA books and page 81 of the Graphic Products text is about the Life cycle of Graphic Products. The books are expensive but comprehensive.

13. dttrainee

dttrainee New commenter

Am I the only one who wishes AQA would give us a selection of packaging / QA/QC symbols that the kids are required to know?

I am conscious that the spec says that they have to know them - and we covered lots of these symbols - handle with care, safety signs and various others, but everytime the exam comes out, there always seems to be a symbol that I haven't covered - this year it was the "registered" R mark. I taught them the TM sign for trademark and the C sign for copyright but not the R sign. I just feel a bit like the exam board is trying to catch us out with some of these things.

As with the product life cycle question, I am aware that it's in the spec, but we aren't mind readers, and we only have a limited time to teach our course so a little more structured guidance on some elements such as signs and symbols would be appreciated. It seems such a shame when these students have worked hard for two years to learn our subject, and we have worked hard with them, that they could lose a grade over something like this.

To be honest, I feel like I have let my students down a bit this year, because I didn't cover all of the content of the exam in class, despite believing that I had. I felt that they were well-prepared and knowledgeable about the subject and that I had carefully checked the spec to make sure we covered as much as possible - but now I just feel like I sent them in without the knowledge they needed.

14. If it's any consolation I feel exactly the same as you, GUTTED! There is a vast spec to cover in a limited amount of time, like its said above we aren't 'mind readers' - structured guidance would help. Also write these papers for the best interest of the pupils but not trying to catch them out. As us teachers work VERY hard to get them the grades that they deserve , only to be tripped up but silly irrelevant questions!