1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on salary-Chiang Mai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Leaps7, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Leaps7

Leaps7 New commenter

I have 12 years of teaching experience. Looking at a school in Chiang Mai, what are your thoughts on the salary?

75,000THB month before taxes
    10,000THB monthly housing allowance
    20,000THB bonus after 2 year contract
    25,000THB flight allowance after 2 year contract
    Aetna Health Insurance

2. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

From what I know it's pretty standard for Chiang Mai, but pretty poor for Thailand in general. You'll be taking home about 80000 baht, which is a liveable, if not luxurious, salary. Chiang Mai and the north in general are cheaper than the southern areas. Would work for a single, but not for a family.

I can't comment on the medical insurance as I have no idea what it covers. Paying out for flights after two years is tight. The bonus is embarrassingly small.

Not the best, but doable if you really want to live in Thailand.

Looks like Thai schools will be closing on Wednesday due to coronavirus. You may want to ask about that.

3. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

If you have any health issues, make sure you understand about the annual smog season, from Jan - Mar before deciding to move there. This isn't just a bit of haze. It can be seriously harmful to health. Otherwise, the money is okay but not brilliant, but the area is great fun to live in.

4. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

In CM now as a teacher nomad from China.
    1. Aqi is terrible in March. Over 400 the other day. Getting worse.
    2. 80,000 is liveable, not sure you'll be able to travel much on that. Nor save.
    If you want a pool with accommodation, you won't get it for 10,000 /month. Pool advised...very hot!
    3. Much cheaper than UK. Eg Sunday Roast in English pub is 7.50 quid, plate of street food is 1 to 2 pounds.
    Its doable if you don't have financial commitments. And don't want to save a lot.
    Absolutely love CM, except for the air quality...

5. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Less than half of what you would get at a reputable school down south and I am not sure that the North is as cheap as all that. Friends of mine who are up there have reported that this year the pollution has been particularly, no pun intended, bad. Last year the schools in Bangkok closed when the AQI got to 170, this year in CM it has been 500+ that has got to take its toll on anyone.

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'no pun intended,' - oh, particulates - I geddit!

7. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

Chiang Mai is a nice city, good location in the north with plenty to do. But as stated previously, prepare yourself for the pollution levels to be really bad for 2 or 3 months a year.

If you have children, I would suggest looking more into this, as the pollution up in the north (not just Chiang Mai) is often worse than Bangkok.

Also for your experience, I would say that the package you are offered is a on the low side, not the worst but I would expect a better offer for someone with 12 years experience.

Good luck.

8. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

Good news: Pollution will be well down this years, thanks to Covid!.
    Salary is about the same I had 20 years ago!
    Still, if I was younger, free and single, I'd take it to get back to somewhere as wonderful as Thailand. If you're married with kids, think twice; nay think thrice.