1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Mondays OCR A2 bio paper?

Discussion in 'Science' started by bogstandardcomp, Jun 14, 2011.

1. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

How could they cover so little of the syllabus?

2. Two facebook pages about people complaining that there was no relationship between the spec and the paper.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/F215-Ecology-paper-13-may/208435035864506#!/pages/F215-Ecology-paper-13-may/208435035864506?closeTheater=1
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Students-against-the-F215-GCE-Biology-June-2011-paper/225705074124228
    Apparently some teachers are planning to make formal conplaints to the board.
    (I'm a maths teacher but my daughter sat it, and is very disappointed. She worked really hard, revising, making notes, understanding all the processes, and feels it was all a waste of time, she would have done just as well - or badly - if she hadn't bothered)

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

It was not what I (or my students) expected. It seemed to be focused on a few areas in depth - 15 marks on learned vs innate behaviour, but not the breadth of the course. I spoke to a couple of my group today who said that they found the paper was alright but where aware that most of the others were not particulalry impressed. I thought that the paper was very tricky and I suspect that the examiners will find it very difficult to come up with grade boundaries.
    I am not sure where OCR are coming from with their recent papers; the F212 paper was a joke - the easiest A level paper I have ever seen with questions that had been taken from old SATs papers (smoking diseases!), fill in the blanks questions (with answers provided) and match the picture with the label. And that is without mentioning the "give a better alternative to the word" question.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

5. Docras

Docras New commenter

My students thought it was fair. The F215 content is huge; they expect to have to learn a huge amount and be asked on only a small proportion of it - and to be tested a lot on skills and application. Time (results....) will tell I suppose.

6. My thoughts exactly. The exam board is completely entitled to select any part of the syllabus to form questions from. There would be more complaints if they asked the same questions year after year.
    HOWEVER - has anyone had a chance to look at the very last part of the last question (7cii) from the 215 paper? It is a Hardy Weinberg calculation and I am convinced they have made a mistake by mixing up the dominant and recessive forms. The info at the very start of question 7 contradicts the info at the start of part c. This could make it very confusing to students. If anyone gets the chance to check it out I would be grateful to hear what you think.

7. could you post a link/ scan the question?

8. I have scanned the question and saved it as a word file on my computer but do not know how to upload it / post it on this forum. If someone can explain how to do this I will do my best.

9. could you email it twallach@handsworth.bham.sch.uk