1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Larry Flanagan’s letter ...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Jazzz, May 22, 2020.

1. Jazzz

Jazzz New commenter

Anyone?

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

3. Catherine25

Catherine25 New commenter

The Ssta was even stronger basically at this point we are not going in for the month of June

sicilypat likes this.
  4. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

From LF's letter it appears that there was pressure to open schools earlier than August 11th.

5. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

What do we need to go in for? No staff meetings can take place unless they put some desks in a big gym (pointless).

If the expectation is that I go back in to rearrange furniture and wipe down desks, my response will be gtf. There's nothing I can do at work that I can't do from my front room.

Marisha, puppyofdoom, autoq and 4 others like this.
  6. alendra

alendra New commenter

I can be at home, remotely teaching my classes and developing materials for 'blended learning', as I have been doing for the past two months. Or I can be in the school shifting furniture and marking out where pupils have to queue to get into my room. Not both. So someone has to decide what is currently the best use of my time. I know what I think it is.

7. Catherine25

Catherine25 New commenter

Totally agree I wont be going in. Watch Smt across scotland freak out. Well some anyway.

8. Effinbankers

Janitorial tasks.

I wont be moving anything or sticking tape to the lino

9. grayst

grayst Occasional commenter

10. grayst

grayst Occasional commenter

Well, I've been into my classroom for the last few Tuesdays (partly because volunteered to deliver food parcels) and I've liked it. Getting out the house and sitting at a big clear desk with a proper PC, not the daughter's lame-ass spare laptop, and total peace, quiet and isolation.

And in June I want to be directly involved in decisions about room capacities, one-way systems, staggered timetables and so on because if it's left to the SLT, the authority and the jannies then they'll flamingo it up.

(It's like a **** up, but much much bigger. (C) Red Dwarf)

No choice really since I'm the SSTA rep and chair of the H&S Committee.

11. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

You make a really valid point, grayst. If we are to feel safe then we need to be consulted and have some input into the organisation, layout, one way systems etc. Ultimately, that may involve being physically present for a reasonably short time during the month of June and then leave it to facilities management to set it up between then and August. Let's face it, we would scream blue murder if we didn't have some say in the specific set-up of our classrooms, staff rooms etc.

Our local EIS committee is looking for the EIS reps in every school to be expanded, to incorporate someone trained in H&S and another specifically looking out for the health & well being of colleagues. I imagine something similar is being suggested in other local associations.

puppyofdoom likes this.
  12. bobsuruncle84

bobsuruncle84 New commenter

Has anyone heard anything more about us going back next week?

My headteacher has indicated he expects us back full time as of next week. Staff can bring their children with them apparently....

Seems utterly pointless to me. I'm hoping the unions will have a bit more to say about this soon.

13. redrising

redrising New commenter

Our LA (East Lothian) has said that buildings will open on 8th, but only for emergency childcare (?) - seems like they're being realistic. No rush back in all together for us, and a poll to ask what barriers (childcare, medical) - impressed so far.

Marisha and bobsuruncle84 like this.
  14. alendra

alendra New commenter

I've heard absolutely nothing here about going back into school next week. And SLT are still scheduling virtual meetings for next week, so they're obviously expecting us still to be working remotely.

bobsuruncle84 likes this.
  15. Effinbankers

You can't go back to work until risk assessments are in place. They won't be.

Anyway, as numerous posters have stated, most of the tasks we do can be done from home, that should apply for much of June

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  16. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Sorry - what regions are these from? Just to get a bigger picture. As far as I know, N Lan isn’t expecting anyone in from 1st June, no date given yet for teachers returning.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  17. sicilypat

sicilypat New commenter

I am in Glasgow and have received an email from my HT stating that SMT will be in school from Monday 1st June and teachers will return in small groups from 8th June. Unclear what duties we will perform.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  18. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

You will be sitting around discussing what you've been doing for the last three months, your hair, wondering why you're there etc . . . all the time knowing you could have done your work at home.

19. bobsuruncle84

bobsuruncle84 New commenter

In Fife it appears the staff will now be going back in some sort of phased return on June 8th (yet to be specified how this will work).
    We will be preparing for the P7s to be doing some sort of transition the following week.
    Is this sort of transition really needed? It's not exactly going to prepare them for the busy corridors, scary older kids etc... which are the most intimidating part of the move

bigjimmy2 and Marisha like this.
  20. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I thought that the SSTA said that risk assessments have to be in place?

I don't see how it will give them any kind of idea of what school is going to be like. It's probable that their timetable will be ad hoc. It's unlikely that all their teachers will be in, given that the SSTA has told people who are vulnerable not to go in.

This only allows them to see the building (which they may already have seen on previous transition/PR visits). Even then, they may not have all their classes in the main building, given the need to expand the school estate.

Ridiculous.