1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts for 2020-21.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tolkien28, Sep 2, 2020.

1. tolkien28

tolkien28 Occasional commenter

I've been successfully doing supply teaching through my local authority for a number of years, with as much work as I could handle. Not set foot in a classroom since March 20th and feel totally out of the loop. I'm in my early 60s and doing minimal work to boost my teacher's pension but I feel the end of work as I knew it is nigh, even though I only work in one school. Don't know if I'm up to working in a completely different environment with all the new working practices/constraints that would accompany it. If it's the end so be it, I've had a fantastic career with many happy memories including a year teaching in New Zealand.

Any thoughts....... please share.

2. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Enjoy your retirement - going in to schools is not worth the risk.

3. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

I'm glad you have a pension, and hope you are enjoying spending it!
    We were told yesterday that we simply would not be having any supply teachers this year. Not sure who is going to cover if there are more than two teachers off on any one day, but that is the information we have.

BertieBassett2 and pepper5 like this.
  4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

If you only work in one school, they may still call on you. There are bound to be absences, including some longer term ones. That said, you may just want to enjoy your well earned retirement.

5. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I'm 40 something and just going back to supply, if there is any.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with Alldone that you should enjoy your retirement and not take the risk of going into schools.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This is going to an academic year like no other.

There will be many teachers leaving the profession.

pepper5 and BertieBassett2 like this.