1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thought this might be useful ...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ROSIEGIRL, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:28 AM.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Thank you for that, very helpful

Jamvic likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I prefer exercise that has an instructor and is in a group. More sociable and you know you’re doing it properly. I’ve just a Zumba session and strength session this morning. Gives you energy for the rest of the day. Which is why I shall go and get on with doing something useful. :)

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I was thinking especially of those who are struggling with stress or depression. I think 'start small' is really important advice and might just encourage someone to do something, however tiny, when joining a gym or a class is just too big a step.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

6. 60sunnysmile

60sunnysmile New commenter

It was extremely useful for me. I have just joined my local volunteering group for outdoor activities. Thanks for the link.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Several people at my running club who struggle with mental health issues have said how helpful they find running to be. There are groups called "Run and Talk" designed especially to support people. I recently had a long conversation with a friend on a club run (she did most of the talking) and at the end, she thanks me and said that it had been an enormous help to her. I really didn't think I had done anything of note.

A good way to get started is to visit a local parkrun. You can walk all or part of it, and it is a great way of getting some exercise in a friendly, low pressure environment. That is how I started.

ROSIEGIRL likes this.