1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thought I would drop in and see how things are?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by heldon, Feb 18, 2020.

1. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Stopped working in Scottish Education in summer 2018. Stopped aged 56, had originally intended going through to age 58. Anyway, I have to say I have not missed it one bit, and the further I get from the real stress of the classroom and the rotten system the happier I seem to get.
    Is it any better than when I packed it in? Has the initiative on workload sorted things out.
    I honestly didn't know how good life could be!
    Just shows how far I had sunk after 34 years at the chalkface.

bigjimmy2, sicilypat and catmother like this.
  2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Still much the same. Glad your're enjoying being out of it!

bigjimmy2 and catmother like this.
  3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Same old, same old I'm afraid.

My latest love-to-hate is pupils being allowed to take courses which they have no chance of passing. More likely that Frankie Boyle gets through a whole television programme without swearing . . .

Marisha and WitchFingers like this.
  4. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

With more and more teachers leaving before they have completed 5 years (31% apparently) and a lot higher in Englandshire.
    Does anyone know a teacher that would stay in the job if they could earn the same money out of school?

Wage will be £41Kish very soon which is not bad but is it worth it?
    I am married to a teacher that once said that even if she won the lottery she would keep teaching, last week she said she cant do it any more and needs out, sadly she needs to stay working for 10 years to pay our mortgage.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Move abroad. Rent out your house and go live in the sunshine in a decent school. it is a different world.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

And then we get hauled over the coals for students being entered at the "wrong level" or taking the same course two years running.

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  7. WitchFingers

WitchFingers New commenter

Our SMT has now decided it's sensible to force kids who scored 10% in their prelims to sit final exams. One size fits all

Marisha likes this.
  8. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Would there not be a case to be made that forcing a pupil to sit an exam which they have no chance of passing as being injurious to the pupil? Would a union back such a claim?

I have seen pupils walking into exam rooms with tears in their eyes knowing full well that they have no chance of a pass. It was cruel.

WitchFingers likes this.
  9. bigjimmy2

It's been like that for years in the hell hole where I work. Apparently they need the "opportunity". I've had pupils with 12% in the prelim have their fathers - and when it's the father you really need to take them seriously, don't you?! - come to school to demand that their offspring be allowed to take the exam.

Marisha likes this.
  10. bigjimmy2

I've never seen that, in fact, the opposite is more the case in that certain pupils believe they have a right to take the exam.

Marisha likes this.
  11. WitchFingers

That was my concern too, especially now there's no fallback. Not sure what union can do but I am complaining. Neither data nor professional judgement seem to mean anything.

12. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

I have no issue with giving kids a shot at the exam. I've seen the odd miracle, I think the best was something like 16% in the Higher Maths prelim to a band 3 pass, but what I dislike is folk who want it all ways. They want kids to be given a chance and they want kids to be entered at the right level and they don't want kids doing resits.

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  13. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

We have a situation with kids who (just) passed Nat 4 Maths in S4 now doing Nat 5 in S5.
    All of them have struggled with the pace and content of Nat 5 Maths as predicted and none passed their prelim.
    They will have passed the NABS but the choice is now whether to present for the exam in May.
    If they fail, which is very likely, they cannot get their Units only award any more.
    I have recommended that they bank their Units this year and then sit the exam next year.
    Be interesting to see what the parents decide - because, in our school, they have the final say.

Marisha, WitchFingers and bigjimmy2 like this.
  14. bigjimmy2

The teacher/department should be the judge. Sure the occasional pupil who bombed a prelim will go on and surprise everyone and pass the darned exam, but that will be very much the exception - I wonder what the actual figures would be?

The decision should be based on hard, objective and unarguable evidence. Number of homeworks done. Average homework mark. Unit tests passed. Prelim mark(s). It should not be up to the pupil or parent to decide. Pupils and their parents should get used to the idea of working to achieve something, rather than it be given them merely because they want it. I do not understand why school management allow pupils with virtually no chance of passing to sit an exam. Pupils and their parents need to get used to the eff word, no, not that one, this one: "fail".

sicilypat and GuessWho like this.
  15. subman68

I have pupils with attendance in the 40%. Almost no work completed, when they are in they dont have a clue what is going on, I have been told that they will not be changed level and that they will sit the final exam. I did as if that can be put in writing and if it could just be sent to the HT so that it is there for our results analyses.

WitchFingers and bigjimmy2 like this.
  16. bigjimmy2

There is just so much wrong with this situation, not just with subman's, but in schools throughout the entire country.

Schools are allowing failure. Pupils are thinking, no doubt with their parents' passive agreement, that they don't even need to turn up, that they don't even need to do any work and yet it is their right to sit the exam. Soon that attitude will change from "right to take the exam" to "right to pass the exam", it's just the natural extension of the situation we have today.

Is there a DHT or even a HT on these forums (potatoes, where are you?!) who can explain the rationale behind this policy?

Scotland's education system is just corrupt, a word I've been using for some years now. Not corrupt in the South American dictatorship sense, just full of people who are incapable of doing their jobs and policies that have got very little to do with education.

WitchFingers and sicilypat like this.
  17. subman68

My school is obsessed with "positive destination" we ship people out to the local college and into **** schemes.
    SMT are scared to upset kids. They walk in and out whenever they feel like it. I complained about this in my class. more than half the class have attendance below 80% I was told I need to treat them like adult and it is up to them. I then pointed out if they were adults in the workplace then they would all be sacked. I was then mocked by the very young very inexperienced PT Destination telling me that workplace has changed and as teachers we dont know what is going on. Silly wee girl was not happy when I pointed out that unlike her I have worked out of school, and still do.

School is turning into a sick joke.

WitchFingers, sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  18. WitchFingers

Almost identical situation here. Unfortunately our parents don't seem to have much influence. SMT ignoring data, kids and teachers and forcing kids with little chance of passing through.