1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thought for the day... personal grooming

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wiemaranerlover, May 27, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Archy, while you were writing that did it ever occur to you that this thread has a bit TMI?[​IMG]

2. Nah.....we are all incognito Nutty. I quite like to know what others do..and as for my hairy bits, well...mine just exist - or not, if I remember I am going places where the pits might be on show...[​IMG]
    I just find it fascinating that women feel the need have to have them 'seen to' by perfect strangers so often and that some of us don't do as much for ourselves as others.
    In fact...I was going to pose a 'peach bloom' question..
    I am very fair, but, in a good light I can see blonde peach fuzz on my cheeks..more towards the ears, down the side of my face. This is a new thing...and it doesn't bother me because it's not noticeable, it's extremely fine, and blonde, but this weekend, OH's sister revealed that she has her chin, upper lip and jawline, and cheeks waxed regularly because they get hairy otherwise.
    OMG! Am I naive? Should I be buying one of those thingys advertised on TV - that you have to send away for......because in the ad, you do see women running it all over their faces, like they are shaving!!! [​IMG]
    Facial hair...what's acceptable, what's not??? [​IMG]

3. I am fascinated by people's beauty regimes. I am very low maintenance. I shower and wash my hair every day and slap on whichever moisturiser happens to be on special offer. That's it. I do own some makeup - my blusher must be at least 10 years old - but very rarely wear it.
    I have my hair cut 2/3 times a year - never dye it, I don't mind going grey; do my own nails..that is, scrape compost and soil out from under them and wield a razor every now and then.
    Considering I am galloping towards my 60th birthday I look good with remarkably few wrinkles - which I don't deserve given the neglect!

4. A woman after my own heart! [​IMG]
    One day I'll wear my gardening gloves....perhaps.

5. I only use gardening gloves for pruning roses - and stacking my woodpile (with which I am obsessed)!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have always used gloves in the garden since chopping my ungloved finger v badly with the secateurs. I have related the story on here before of how the wound unaccountably looked black after 6 weeks at which point I poked a needle into it and squeezed it whereupon half a leaf popped out.

7. Aha! First rule of using secateurs........always know where your fingers are! Mr C did the same when <strike>slashing </strike>pruning my bay tree because he always knows best. Considering he has been trying to kill it for some time now, I call it bay tree revenge

8. I spend half an hour each day buffing my baldy bits, and two hours trimming, shampooing, conditioning and back combing my bush. And it's all for you lovely TES ladies. I hope you appreciate my efforts:
    [​IMG]
    cyolba, tucking into a light snack :)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

OMG. That could be autismuk before he went on his diet.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Mine are a law unto themselves!

11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Face wipes, sun block , eyeliner, mascara and lippy. Have long hair and have a hairdresser and phone phobia so rarely make hair appointments. Tend to hack at fringe when needed. But what is it with hair in unwanted places as you get older? I swear I am beginning to turn into a gorilla! Might have to sucumb to a professional wax before my hols. My razors and epillator cant cope anymore.[​IMG]

12. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Arched, regarding the hairy face thing, I have noticed that over the past year too. I think it must be a menopause thing, something to do with falling oestrogen causing face fur? Like you say, it looks like the fine hairs on a peach, but it never used to be there, I think my face was just skin, not hairy skin. It's not too noticeable, but if I try to use powder I think it makes it worse, so I don't.