1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thought for the day... personal grooming

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wiemaranerlover, May 27, 2012.

1. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I'm not a girly girl and normally just moisturise and look tidy, but because the sun is out, and I saw a good few glamour pusses at examiners' meeting yesterday, I feel somewhat scruffy.

After discussion with other half, we totted up what I consider the maximum I'd happily do, if cost was no object: hair cut £35, pedicure £20, eyebrow threading £10, manicure £15.

Now I know for me, these are treats and not essentials, but it got me wondering how much being glamourous costs. Time as well as financial.

2. At 45 years young I need all the help I can muster.
    I have long brunette hair that needs dyeing every 10 weeks. My hairdresser pal does my colour, highlights and cut and blow-dry for £32. I use John Frieda shampoo, conditioner and styling products. No waxing or threading - just a good old razor instead. I do my own eyebrows every day - I hate stray hairs. I also wear light make-up every day; Bare Escentuals mineral foundation and mineral veil, Urban Decay 2 eye shadow palette, and Clarins mascara plus other products too. Clinique and Chanel lipsticks as a treat. Skin care is Garnier - usually two for £12 at Boots. I wear either Jo Malone "Lime, Basil & Mandarin" or "Nutmeg & Ginger" perfume. I look younger than 45 (so I am told!) and I love make-up! Hubs buys my war paint in the USA where the wonderful store "Sephora" graces the cities and malls. I spend about £25 a month on toiletries and make- up and my haircuts and colour cost about £160 a year. Why do women wear make-up and perfume? If we didn't, we'd be ugly and smell. (a joke, a joke!)

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I am in my 50s now...and pass for between 10 and 15 years younger. ...with no make-up!
    Actually, I think the fact that I never clogged my pores with make-up has helped me have the decent skin I do now (when I don't have eczema!)....plus the fact that whilst I don't wear make-up I <u>do</u> wear a strong sunscreen.....and I carry a few(!!!) extra pounds which for me helps me look younger (my family are the sort who age when skinny if you know what I mean)
    The thinning hair/bald patches <u>do</u> make me feel every year of 50 and more!
    I also think my horrendous eyesight is a plus point. I can take my glasses off, look in the mirror and think 'not bad for 50!'....all the littleimperfections blur beautifully when you have weak eyes!

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Lime, Basil & Mandarin is one of my staples too and I've got rh limited edition, Peony & Moss. Loved Sephora when I was in Boston and bought lots there.
    I'm high maintenance and spend money on hair cut and colour and wouldn't go out without makeup, contact lenses etc, but much less so at weekends. Don't buy magazines, rent films, rarely have takeaways or meals out, so these are my treats and as you get older, you need good skincare imo.

5. I was going to write something about anal bleaching, but apparently that's a bit out of fashion these days.

6. Oo, and I love those 99p facepacks you can buy in Superdrug.

7. camis

camis New commenter

I remember my husband's grandmother (in her 80s) after having an operation on her cataracts - "if I'd realised I had this many wrinkles I wouldn't have had my eyes done"!

My sister-in-law cuts and colours my hair (when I remember to go and see her), and I very rarely wear make up. I do cleanse and moisturise every day and like my nails to look nice, although don't wear polish. I do, however, like my toes to look good when wearing sandals, so make the effort to moisturise my feet and paint my toenails.

Hair removal is usually with an epilator, although the razor comes out if I'm in a hurry. I like using nice shower gels and soaps, but have to make sure I don't leave them in the shower or hubby uses them up!

If I ever have the time, I do like to go for a facial, but it doesn't happen very often. Same with manicures - am currently thinking of getting those gel nails so they don't flake off when I'm washing up!

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

clarins serum and moisturiser, which i've just started using. facewash is one that heats up (i like that) or a microdermabrasion one.
    makeup is currently illamasqua foundation, powder, eyeliner and mascara for work. i've got a primer that is keeping the t-zone under control, for once.
    for going out, the makeup can get a bit wild... :D
    i like having my nails done but can't afford it too often. i do get waxed and eyebrows threaded.
    haircuts and colour happen in the holidays.

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I cut my own hair. Have never had a facial, manicure or pedicure. To be honest, I'd rather spend the money on cake and wine.

10. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Jo Malone's Wild Bluebell is LOVELY but very expensive.

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

So, are those your real lardylegs in the photo, then?

12. Grooming always makes me think of chimpanzees somehow.
    Who is this Jo woman? Can I find her stuff in the pond shop?

13. If not the pond shop maybe the pound shop

14. Goldopals

Goldopals New commenter

I am rather relaxed in my personal grooming habits. I shower every day, wash my hair once a week and brush it once a day (it is butt length and does not show grease), but do little else. I never wear makeup, and have never had a manicure or pedicure. I tweeze my own eyebrows when I can be bothered and cut my own hair once a year.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

OMG! What a terrible waste of life.

16. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I'm a bit strange - I don't have hair on my legs or under my arms at all. It's been this way since I had chemo 10 years ago so yay for that as a long term side effect eh! In other news I do need a fanny wax every 6 weeks - To compensate for the odd hair free areas my ***** tend to head towards my knees big time so I get them whipped off.
    IFriends say I have a sad make-up collection, but I would rather spend money on really good skin care adn avoid the need to cover problems with slap. If I have time I will go for a good facial and massage for well being purposes. I also spend money on good oils for aromatherapy use in a burner, bath or on my skin.

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Hair cut every 6 weeks &pound;55. No colour as I'm natural blonde.
    Manicure and pedicure every 3 weeks &pound;40.
    Leg, brow, bikini was and lash and brow tine every 6 weeks &pound;60
    I wear little make-up but use Estee Lauder serum and elemis skin care.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No grey, Belle, even at your age?[​IMG]

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Well as you've got a good 10 years on me no, not a single strand! In fact, my children's father commented on this only the other week when we all went out together.
    I'm very lucky in that respect and I'm sure posters who've met me in RL will testify to that too [​IMG]

20. Oh me too!
    I hate any sort of pampering - except for back massages....
    I loathe going for beauty treatments...I get my hair cut for &pound;6 by students at training college ( I have had much better results than when I pay silly money for a stylist at Tony & Guy...honestly.) I dye it myself every six weeks or so...ashy blonde, which mean my silvery grey roots hardly show up at all. (I started going grey when I was18...but fortunately the fashion for hair 'streaks' as they were called then meant that everyone thought my salt and pepper mix was some fabulous treatment!)
    I always used to wear make-up but I so enjoy the joys of going make-up free now. It's so liberating. I am very fair so rarely shave my legs...they are sort of bald - if it's possible to have bald legs? I take a razor to the pits every now and then....and given I am not really hairy the bikini line is never an issue! I file and paint my own fingernails and slap Sudocrem on my heels for a week or so before we take off on holiday...and paint the toenails. Any old shampoo does my hair but I do like a rich conditioner because it's naturally very dry.
    I tweeze my own eyebrows every now and then when I am in a good light and happen to be near a magnifying mirror. I have a tube of facial exfoliater from Lidl which is great for the odd deep clean. I use supermarket own brand make-up remover tissues..
    If I am clean and fresh I feel fine...When going somewhere special I might wear tinted moisturiser and smokey grey shadow on my eyes, with mascara...and pale pink lippy...which suits me best. Rimmel has always been fine...but I quite like Boots own make up..
    I like perfume but of late if I use it and have to travel the smell makes me feel a bit queasy. This is new for me, so I don't go mad with it any more. My perfumes tend to be bought for me...birthday presents and the like.
    I was told a few weeks ago by a work colleague of my OH, who was meeting me for the first time, that "the years have been very kind" to me. Given I am so low maintenance I was well chuffed! [​IMG]
    The man, in mock boast, told his colleague he'd always "been able to pull the young birds...."
    (I am two years younger than he is...) [​IMG]