1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

though I'd give them another chance...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by misterroy, Mar 28, 2012.

1. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

Saw this about 30% not being good enough at maths
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/third-of-second-years-cant-do-basic-maths.1332938569
    I decided to see what Learning Scotland had to say, but I got distracted and decided to look at the CPD pages to see what was there, ever hopeful.
    The answer seems to be nothing, then I scrolled down to the bottom, it is a blog site after all, open to us all:
    "I am organizing an Inservice on Monday 24th October. I was wondering if you know anyone who would be interested in giving a short presentation on for example National 4 or 5, Assessment and Reporting or subject specific topic relating to Art & Design. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!"
    is the only entry, there is no reply.
    Is the blogger's post serious, or quiet insurection?
    http://ltsblogs.org.uk/cpdteam/2010/09/17/the-national-cpdteam/

2. lookinglost

lookinglost New commenter

I'm not sure what your getting at? Isn't this Blog post telling you what the CPD team are doing? Have you had a look at CPDCentral? Have you contacted your local CPD coordinater about CPD, this team are in place to support them? There is also links to e-mail addresses which you could contact the members of that CPD team with and from experience they have been quick to reply.
    The comment at the bottom also left contact details, whose to say they haven't contacted them? I also know a number of teachers and CPD coordinators who have asked for CPD on pretty much the same thing as the poster has, all resulting with CPD being provided.
    Finding things on the LTS site can be pretty difficult sometimes, but I have always found e-mailing someone to be pretty helpful. Not so useful if you can't wait till the next day though.
    In relation to the Herald article it's pretty shocking and follows on from the report on English numeracy levels.

3. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

I have asked for similar training as the artist every year since I've had to do
    a review. Must be about 15 years of requests now, not once has it been
    given. Funnily enough before personal reviews I used to get useful
    training. I doubt the artist got what she was after either, if the
    training was supplied it would look good on the blog site to say so. If
    any of us know the poster, ask her and let us know.
    One of the maths questions, P4:

Question
    3. Sam buys 2 pens. She pays with four 20p coins and she is given 10p
    change. What did one pen cost?

per cent of pupils gave the correct answer

4. 22% seems about right, for P4. It's a three-step problem (multiplication, subtraction, division). Mine are still getting their heads around two-step problems.