1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Those who wish for the future to come quickly

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was listening to an Internet wireless programme this evening that mentioned in passing, some individuals who wanted the future now. To be truthful the programme wasn't as interesting as it pretended to be so I won't raise your hopes of seeking it out for something worth listening to on a rainy day, however since it passed on that message that there are those who wish we could access the future now and do their utmost to bring it to us, I wondered if we could channel their enthusiasm into things that most of us we would like to see.

By this I mean, if all the talent that goes into creating pointless apps and new whizzy things to waste our lives with could be funneled into tackling real world issues, would we be worse off?

What, for example might happen if all that talent went into thinking about healthcare? Are they bright enough to improve it? Do they have the talent to solve third world hunger issues? Will we ever know, so long as the focus remains on making a quick buck from pointless junk?