1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Those who know about strikes and things, advice please.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jun 21, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My year team colleague is striking. I don't mind exactly, but am a little bothered by the practicalities as school will be open.

Literacy, PSHCE and PPA is easy for me to organise for my own class. However we set for maths.

Do I ask those in my maths set, but not in my class, to come in for the hour as there is no reason for them not to? What happens to those in my class who are in the other maths set? Do they go home for an hour mid morning? In theory no-one can cover my colleague's class, but then again we can't have children to-ing and fro-ing to and from school can we?

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Support your colleague by striking aswell.

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

(I think they are in a union that isn't striking.)
    It is up to your head, but I would assume that just your own class comes in and you do a one off maths lesson.

4. Your HT should be sorting the practicalities - this is their headache, not yours.
    If I had to make the decision though I would consider the parents of the children involved. I've read some of your other posts so I think you teach Year 6 (apologies if i'm wrong) but even that age will need childcare sorting if they can't go to school. The last thing they'll need is to have to worry about getting them to school for one maths lesson and then sorting care for the rest of the day or in the oppposite case having to collect them mid morning while you teach maths and then drop them back again for pm lessons.
    You don't know what these parents might have to do to get childcare for the day - they may have to take their child to a friend or relative who lives 20 miles away for the day.
    If it was me I would do a one off maths lesson with my own class - perhaps something involving problem solving in mixed ability groups. Year 6 is a long way from being my strongest year group though so apologies if that suggestion is way off the mark. We set for maths in KS2 (I teach across my school - PPA and management release) but there have been odd occasions when teachers have done this.

5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Just don't have them in maths sets at all, then those classes are not happening, so you will not be covering at all.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I am in a union that isn't striking, though that isn't really the point.

Well I think that, but then it means that I am effectively covering for my absent colleague which is apparently a total no no.

7. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

No you're not. His/her maths class is not taking place.

8. That is all for your Head to decide. Explain to them and ask what they want you to do about it. Clearly they won't be sent home for an hour! It will either be the case that you keep your own class and hers stay at home, or they cover.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In an ideal world...

However a bit late in the year to make that decision all of a sudden. LOL

10. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

1 - nut subscriptions - 0845 300 1669. Easy.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes I am as I have to do something extra, over and above my normal work because of their absence.

12. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I meant just for 30th June. You won't be covering for your colleague, because the group he/she would have taught will not be taking place. As you are in work, you are still responsible for your class. It's not covering.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Wish I could do smiley faces, but I can't. But the answer is 'not in a million years'! :)

14. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

It's not extra; it's replacing the lesson you would have taught.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes it is! As I will have to think up and plan for a one off lesson (total one off as classes are not in on the Friday due to transition) that I would not normally have to do. And will be teaching children for whom I haven't a clue about their maths strengths and weaknesses.

Which yes of course I can do, and probably will do, but it is me doing over and above my normal work due to the absence of my striking colleague. Not quite how strikes are supposed to work in my understanding!

16. So miss the maths and teach them something else you've planned for...

17. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

This doesn't mean it is covering. It would only count as covering if you or someone else were to teach your colleague's setted group. I don't see how it can be extra work - you would be teaching during that hour anyway. The fact that they are not your normal teaching group is not important. It's not stopping the effectiveness of the strike; there will still be a complete class of children missing from school.

18. I think the half of your maths set that you won't be teaching compensate for the half of your partner's maths set that you will - in terms of the effectiveness of the strike. Of course, I can see you may feel the extra work is unfair.
    Do you belong to a union yourself? One of the non striking ones? They should be able to advise on what to do in this situation - after all this scenario will be going on in schools up and down the country.

19. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I'm getting confused now. Are you concerned about it being cover and 'breaking' a strike or about the practicalities of setting a one off maths lesson?
    Give them an open ended investigation in a mixed ability pair and feed back orally or record on their whiteboards.
    I really wouldn't mention any of your concerns about a one off maths lesson creating extra work in school when they are losing a day's pay. I doubt it would go down well.

20. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Thank you for an articulate, sensible post. M