1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Those were the days my friend we thought they'd....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pianist1, Feb 10, 2012.

1. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

I remember the Music festivals ( competitive in those days) of school choirs singing a hymn, a specified song and their own entries. I LOVED THIS TIME OF MY LIFE. We sang in Stockton, Mddlesbrough and Whitby competitive music festivals. Our choir teacher was the year 6 teacher who sang in the Middlesbrough Operatic Society Miss Barbara Killick. The other teacher was Miss Read who also sang in the MOP and taught infant one.

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I remember being in a choir competition and we travelled to Manchester. What an adventure but I really don't remember anything else about it!!

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I loved the Warwickshire Grammar Schools' Choir festival held annually at Birmingham Town Hall. The building was fantastic to explore at lunchtime and the singing was wonderful. I've forgotten the name of the woman who I think was from Sutton High but her voice could soar above thousands of young voices when she let rip. Inspirational. Our music teacher was blind - John Sinfield - and he liked my voice so I liked him. i still sing although 30 years of teaching has taken it's toll. Working on Mendelsohn's Elijah and John Rutter's Requiem.at the moment.

4. Do you teach English?

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

are we on punctuation or grammar here?
    I wonder because the meaning is crystal clear.

6. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Yeah but it's shouldn't have an apostrophe.

7. Women who *** about apostrophes are usually much older than the picture in funny(?)andfree's avatar!
    I read at the station that accordion-pleated skirts are now fashionable. perhaps rejoice in that instead of having a go at someone's apostrophe mistake. You could have told the poster that in a private message (now I know what a pm is i'm waiting to get one!)

8. A dog's wife!

9. Is that your considered opinion? I think you'll find that educated people of all ages - including the older students some of us teach - have the ability to place the apostrophe correctly.
    It's a matter of standards - not age! The odd man might just about manage to master the skill ( basic) too. WOW.

10. Huh? Now you have lost me.

11. Actually no it is not. The poster has abbreviated it is. The sense is not crystal clear.

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I remember going to see my daughters performing in music festivals.
    The wonderful school choir singing 'Clock o' Clay' and 'My Love's an Arbutus' had me in tears.
    My serious-faced eldest playing that flute solo that fifteen others had just played before her in an identical hesitant and nervous way. That tune over and over again!

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

There is an annual Primary Schools' Festival of Singing here in Reading - it isn't competitive, but most of the schools participate.

14. Now you have lost me
    If only......

I used to sing in the school choir. It was a French convent and the sound the nuns coaxed (bullied) out of us was glorious. No music, just voices.

15. I also have fond memories of music festivals. I seemed to spend half of my childhood being carted around to the four corners of the UK to take part. I sang in choirs, played in wind ensembles and did solo works too. Happy days [​IMG]. There is a good annual music festival near where I live and I've encouraged my own instrumental students to take part for the last 20 odd years - mainly so that they can have fond memories of their own.

16. Music festivals and apostrophes apart .. simply being of an age that made us think we were invincible, high spirited, and the only ones who had ever done anything. I taught in Zambia for three years during the 80s. My 22 yo son has just climbed Kilimanjaro, travelled to Victoria Falls and is now in Cape Town. Am I envious? You bet. Could I do that? No way, but I'd like to think I could. ... Well I might not manage Kili, but the rest is an attractive and manageable project in the near future.

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

To err is human, to forgive divine. [​IMG]

18. [​IMG] Do forgive me.

19. [​IMG]

20. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

I love Men's Elijah!