1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Those of you who learnt Times Tables by rote - exactly how did you do it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Whataniceday, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Obviously by rote! But daily? How many times? When did you move on to the next table? We do a lot of tables work in my class (if you don't know your tables, other areas in maths are harder), but I think I could teach them better...
    Just wondering!
    Thank you in advance

2. We had a tests on Friday mornings. If you did it right you went on to the next table (14s, 16s, weight length etc after 12). You stood up in front of the whole class and recited aloud. If you got it wrong you were shamed.
    I always had a good memory but even then I felt for the poor *** who didn't.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Recitations twice a day
    Tests three times a week

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I didn't know my tables properly until I was teaching.

And I still don't know 8 x 6 - I have to convert to 6 x 8.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was taught by rote but never actually learned them. I still have to think about some of them before I get the answer. So much for teaching by rote.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

First thing in the morning we chanted every table from beginning to end daily!

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I was taught by rote and I have to say, it's invaluable for quick mental arithmetic. We went up to the 12x table, I imagine beause there were 12 pence in a shilling. Up to the 10x table would make more sense now, I'd imagine.
    Do schools still teach mental arithmetic tricks?

8. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Can't remember, but I DO remember you couldn't go for break until you got a times table question right! Was a good incentive.

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Break? We weren't allowed to sit until we got five right [​IMG]

10. We were tested regularly and in Year 3,4,5 had a mental maths sheet called the mad minute every morning. We loved it and hated getting things wrong. But then we also had posters everywhere, on the classroom wall etc. my friends house, her parents alternated the timestables and the national anthem posters on the back of the toilet door. I clearly remember that helping me.

11. I can't remember how often we did them, but I do remember that when you had learned one, you had to recite it first to the teacher, and then to the headteacher. Perhaps the latter was only if you'd learned one you would not have been expected to learn, otherwise the headteacher would have been somewhat busy!

I do remember reciting them as a class like this: "one six is six, two sixes are twelve.." etc. We also did up to twelve. Some of the students I teach now say they did up to 15, but most of it doesn't seem to have stuck!

The other useful thing we did was playing with cuisenaire rods in reception to learn the pairs of numbers which added up to ten, and this really did work well for me.

12. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Too long ago - I don't remember. Still have trouble with 8 & 9 though - not that I don't know them just not as quick!!!

13. I remember writing them into my homework jotter, then having to learn them at home and then recite to the whole class. It wasn't a case of once you'd learned one, you moved on to the next, I think we were given a new one every week or couple of weeks, up to 12 (although my mum was a primary teacher and made me do more - up to 15 I think - I was such a swot!!)
    The teacher then used to randomly? pick on pupils to recite them, and tell us which one she wanted us to do. I'm sure that the better you were at them, the harder the one she picked for you to do, but it didn't feel that way at the time!
    I only seem to remember doing them in P3, but we must have done them later in school too.
    I knew them all inside out, back to front blah blah, and it was so much help.
    I'm nowhere near as good at them these days, although I can still do them - just considerably slower than I could when I was at primary school!

14. I remember every morning, aged 7, the whole class of 40 reciting our tables and then we would be picked on at random. I dread being asked 7x8 as I could never remember that one !

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Mental questions round the class and you didn't sit down till you got them right. Tables and maths facts e.g 1/8 of a £ = 2/6, 1/16 of a £ = 1/3, 1/15 of a pound = 1/4. 22 chains in a mile, 1760 yds in a mile.
    With my Y3s we did "tables and chairs" and would stand on the chairs to chant the tables. It was a matter of great pride to get them right. Learning them wasn't hard - using them appropriately was the killer.

16. We had a times table bee every week but also used to sing them for 5 mins at the start of every math lesson. We also had to write out 100 answers on a sheet each week- we had 15 mins to do it- and then we marked each others as the teacher read out the answers. We too used to say '3 times 4 is 12'...nowadays the children are often allowed to say ' 4,8,12,16 ..'etc which seems silly as they are not understanding what they are saying.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

When I was a boy in junior school we where not allowed home till you got a 'spontaneous' table sum right....and guess who used to be always going to the back of the queue!......i still cant do them past 7*7 and have to convert them to another sum and sort of double up.We used to have daily chants,and individual recitations with my techer having great joy im giving me tables which i couldnt do......for 3 years she was my teacher and tormented me with them for all that time.......i still hate the bi***h,in those days she got me caned for not learning my tables or indeed for answering no to her request!(this was in the 50's)
    As to tables i learnt them better when i had male teachers in secondary school,there we recited and also practiced them in speed compotitions

18. 1971 at 5/6 years old we recited from 1 1 is 1 to 12 12's are 144 every morning. I can't remember being tested on them. When I was that age, if I was asked 7 7's I would have to start at 1x 7 and work through but after a while, it became embedded. As a teacher, I think that learning your times tables is vital. I used various methods, and rote was replaced by songs ( I picked up a fab tape in the US that the kids loved.) I would also focus on one times table a week, starting with 10, then 2 then 5 then 4- ending with 7. There is lots of 'magic' associated with them. We all know the 9x pattern, but there is also a finger method for 6,7,8,9's.
    One strategy that I found the kids liked and helped was to make a sheet with 100 calculations on- based around the week's focus times table. Everyone has 5 mins to do it. ( And in silence!) The progress was to either 1) finish more calculations the next day or 2) improve your time (Pupils had to shout out when they finished and I would give them their time.) Praise went to whoever improved rather than just the people who got the best score. I would get the pupils to swap papers and peer mark as it would have been horrendous to mark them all every day. ( But I would quickly check myself.) On the Friday there would be divisions, and for extention a sheet with multiples of 10 x whatever, so 30 x 7, or decimals- 0.7 x 5 etc. I miss teaching maths!

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I could never learn by rote. I still have to work them out in my head and I can do this very quickly - I just developed other strategies.

20. Steps song 5678 ( 56 is 7x8)