1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Those of you looking for a change of career - new Educational Mental Health Practitioner roles

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Nicola27, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Nicola27

Nicola27 New commenter

Hello,
    I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I just wanted to make those of you considering a change of career aware of a new role which has been created in the NHS. At the back end of last year, Educational Mental Health Practitioners were recruited in a pilot scheme to help get more mental health support to children and young people in schools. It's come from the success of the introduction of children and young people's Psychological Wellbeing Practitoners (this is something you can also consider, I started in January after teaching for 10 years). A quick internet search will bring up job roles and person specs for you to read over. As I understand it there are 25 'trailblazer' trusts offering this at the moment, but if it is successful I imagine it will roll out on a wider scale in the next couple of years.

The first cohort of trainees have started their training (Jan/Feb 2019) but they are planning on recruiting for another cohort to start in September, so it's worth setting up job alerts on the NHS jobsite if you are interested.
    You will start at the bottom of pay band 4 (currently £20,150) and progress to band 5 once qualified (£23,023 - £29,608). It involves working full time and your time will be split between studying at university and working in schools and colleges to apply and further develop your skills. There is also a useful group on Facebook for those wanting to chat to other trainees/potential trainees - Education Mental Health Practitioner (EMHP) Support Group.

Hope some of you find that helpful. :)
    To those of you struggling in your current roles, remember you're doing a fantastic job in very difficult and demanding situations. Don't be too hard on yourself if you're considering leaving teaching; your physical and mental health is much more important that any job. Take it from me, there's light at the end of the tunnel and a life outside of teaching for those of you who want it.

pennyaleece, emloulew, leo07 and 6 others like this.
  2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Thanks for posting Nicola27. I'm sure there are some Tessers looking to escape teaching who may be interested.

It seems ironic that maybe some teachers forced out of teaching due to mental health and stress are being recruited to help students with the same issues.

agathamorse likes this.