1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Those little but annoying areas whilst on supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by dumpty, Jun 24, 2019.

1. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

One I find is I can have a class working well and quietly all day but when it is time to go home and line up all hell breaks loose. My theory is the kids know there is now little a supply teacher can do sanctions wise - or would want to as yes, I do not want to hang about!

I am considering a (very) loud whistle to at least shock them into order before we walk out but if anyone has some other tricks of the trade please let me know.

(Last week I had 35 in a Year 6 class and no TA....hometimes were chaotic to say the least)

2. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

From your post I'm assuming primary - remove any click from the wall - do they wear watches?

Might work?

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Thanks and yes, should have added this is primary.

4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I once had a year 6 class who behaved beautifully all day. Upon dismissing them a row at a time, all hell broke loose and they charged down the stairs like a herd of elephants - straight into the Head, who marched them back up the stairs. I felt like a novice!

Jesmond12 and agathamorse like this.
  5. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

Well done to the head and no need to feel like a novice: you did your bit in the classroom, head does his/hers in the corridors. Wish I had a headmaster/ tress like that at the moment. Mine would probably have ignored the issue...

6. cupcake108

cupcake108 New commenter

As a day-to day primary supply I refuse to dismiss a class at the end of the day-it's a safeguarding issue. Someone that knows the parents should appear and pass them over. Let them out table by table or go at the front yourself. Of course, you might get trampled on in the rush....

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  7. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Best thing you can do is build in as much extra time as you can to sort out the end of the day routine - always takes longer on supply. One thing I used to do which worked quite well was to start reading a story (or class book if it's further up the school) and get 3 kids to get ready to go home, and when they were ready they could tap another child on the shoulder to go and get ready while they sat down... just controlled the flow of things quite well and they did generally enjoy doing it as a challenge to see how quietly they could do it.

Then only release/get to line up a few at a time and like a previous poster I've also asked if school can spare someone who knows the parents that go with each child for the very end of the day if possible (and actually it's always been appreciated and responded to positively that I've pre-empted that one to be fair) or really really made a huge show of emphasising to the kids that I don't know what their grown up looks like so can they make sure they point them out to me and then wait till I've told them they can go so we keep everyone safe (which I figure is as much as I can do to cover things if there's no one spare to help with releasing kids)

Year 6 this time of the year though - you're braver than me!

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.