1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Those fantanstic 'Building Houses' wisweb applets etc.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mature_maths_trainee, Jul 18, 2017.

1. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

I can no longer find any way at all to run those applets, and haven't found anything else that's comparable and freely-available on the web. :-(

Has anyone found a clever way to continue using them (perhaps by stealthily downloading them and running them as local java applications, rather than from within security-restricted browsers?), or found alternative 3D visualisation tools that can be easily run in standard PC environments (perhaps something Geogebra-based, for example)?

MMT

install likes this.
  2. richardtock

richardtock New commenter

3. mature_maths_trainee

Thanks Richard - that's great.

I've now read some of the background about the mc^2 project and C-books etc, but couldn't actually see where you'd got the URL reference from to 'Cubebuildings' page.
    I'd now like to find equivalent pages to the one you provided that show wiswebs old 'algebra solving' applet (the one that checks your working line-by-line as you solve it) and the old applets on 'nets'.
    I can see that some of these have been deeply embedded in some of the C-books, but do they have an easily accessible index webpage like you provided for the Cubebuildings one?

The project team on the 7th Framework EU project seem to have done a great job continuing the DME/Wisweb work.

MMT

install likes this.
  4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

install likes this.
  5. mature_maths_trainee

Strawbs,
    Yes, I'd seen that thanks.
    The big advantage (for me) of the type of link provided by Richard is that it's a direct one-click link to the key resource, without needing to log on and navigate your way through the C books etc.
    I wondered whether similar, 'short cut' links existed for the 'algebra' and 'nets' wisweb resources.
    MMT

install likes this.
  6. jonwood_uk

jonwood_uk New commenter

install likes this.
  7. mature_maths_trainee

Thanks jonwood, but no - that's the index to the old versions of the applets that no longer work run in modern web browsers. [pure Java applets are no longer supported]

RichardRoc's link was to a much newer version of the resources that do run in modern browsers.

MMT

install likes this.
  8. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

install likes this.
  9. jonwood_uk

jonwood_uk New commenter

The right click to remove a block doesn't seem to want to work either in IE or Chrome

install likes this.
  10. hannahinnamibia

hannahinnamibia New commenter

@richardtock you are a wonderful and most excellent practitioner, you have just saved my last lesson of term :) <3

install likes this.
  11. dkjones

dkjones New commenter

12. pittskeFL

pittskeFL New commenter