1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Those dreaded questions......

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kym131218, May 21, 2011.

1. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

Hello fellow teachers!
    Now I am not going to ask for helP for observation ideas as I have that wrapped up (well kind if) what am asking for is ..... What questions have u been asked in an interview which stumped you? You know the ones that you couldnt answer but now you would never forget. I am an internal candidate gunning for a full time permanent position and I want to confidently answer the questions ask. Help would be grateful.

2. "Are you a risk taker."

I batted the question away and sat on the fence. The Head then said something to the effect of:"Come on. You've got an OFSTED inspection...do you go with a safe lesson, or do you take a risk on something special?"

I batted it away again and waffled something about 'calculated risk'.

Must have done OK though...'cos I got the job!

[​IMG]

3. If you're being interviewed by the student council, be prepared for anything!
    I've been asked to tell my funniest joke and sing some of my favourite song... it made me feel like a performing seal, and I was actually quite pleased to not get the job at that particular school!

4. Oh yeah, forgot to mention the school council!
    That was more nerve wracking than the actualy panel interview! They asked me: 'What is your greatest achievement?' amongst other things.

5. Not wanting to hijack your thread... but was going to post a similar question. Its been a long while since I was last interviewed and I'm not sure what to expect!!

6. I am a NQT, and last week in an interview I was asked, "If you were the subject co-ordinator for Science, for example, how would you collate assessment data across the Key Stage?"
    Another question I found quite tricky from a few months ago, was "How would you use the school's website effectively?" (that school was clearly big into developing ICT). And they also asked me (as a NQT!!), to tell them about a whole-school initiative I had led ...! They even said, "This might be a bit TRICKY for you to answer as a NQT...?" LOL
    And for a Church of England school, I was asked, "What would be the advantages for parents to send their child/ren to a C of E school?"
    My top tip is to tell them EVERYTHING, last week at interview the final question they asked was, did I want to add anything, and I replied that they would be glad to hear that I didn't, as I had COVERED everything lol, they even laughed because I had had such extensive answers! It worked anyway because I got the job :D
    Ohhh and remember to really really really sell yourself, I used to think I did, for example I would tell them I had a first in my degree, however feedback from a Headteacher after an unsuccessful interview was to say something like, "I have a first class honours degree which shows the extent to which I have high expectations of myself, am extremly hardworking, motivated" etc etc.
    Best of Luck!! xx

7. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

ooo would love to hear anymore questions people have had recently! i know there's lots of threads about this, but they're not very recent

8. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

Hello everyone, thank you for your comments.

I think this will be a very useful thread and I am becoming more confident when I read up more challenging questions.

With regards to the school council... I have had
    Could you tell us a joke?
    What biscuit would you be?
    We have some spare time, could you play a quick game with us.
    Good questions for school children to come up with.
    Please keep the questions coming, I will update some fresh ones as soon as I have had lunch ....

9. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

The most popular questions I have had so far are....
    What are your strengths?
    What are your weaknesses?
    What would you do if a child disclosed information of concern from home?
    What would you do to support school development or improvement plan?
    What skills do you have to bring to the school?
    What are your teaching philosoies?
    Explain why you wanted to be a teacher?
    What is your view on communicating with parents?
    What educational issues do you have knowledge of?