1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Those doing secondary pgce

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Cat-lady, Jul 14, 2019 at 2:02 PM.

1. Cat-lady

Cat-lady New commenter

Hi there
    I hope its ok to post here.
    I hope to apply for pgce biology next year and was wondering what your typical day looked like?
    Do you get thrown straight in the deep end or do they build you up to into teaching?

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Well, therein you begin to see the difference between courses.

Teach first and some scitts and some SD will throw you in.

All PGCE at uni are incremental so slow start and build up to never more than 60% timetable.

Some SD and SCITT also do this.

Some SD are simply places on a HEI PGCE and so you won’t notice any difference.

Once you’ve chosen three, you go to each provider's recruitment day and they tell you how much they expect you to do.

If it worries you, do a HEI PGCE with a good local provider.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's an impossible question to answer really.

4. StewieJazz

StewieJazz New commenter

I'm starting a Secondary Biology PGCE soon. Mine is an SD, and it builds up from mainly observation at the very beginning to a considerably larger percentage of a full timetable's teaching by the final term. It seems to be well-paced and based on tried and tested principles. I'm looking forward to it immensely.

There is some leeway, too, as far as I can tell. If one feels ready to do a bit more at a certain point, it is possible to do that.

From what I have seen so far during my research in order to choose courses, there are some SD programmes that start people off teaching full or almost full timetables. I think these are the salaried ones, in general. But such routes appear to be for people who have experience as a TA or, I suppose, as a tutor in another capacity (such as private tutoring or training). In my case - no prior teaching experience - the SD or university-based routes, with bursary, seemed to be the best options. In the end, I chose the SD.