1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Those awkward questions in Science...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sunscorch, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Have you ever had one of your little darlings come up with one of those questions that you just don't know the answer to? One of those questions that you say you'll look up, or that you "set" them as extra homework?
    For non-Science speicalists, this can be a problem. Especially if the child perceives it as something you ought to know, which can undermine your whole command of the topic.
    I'm starting up a YouTube channel called "ScienceFaction" that will aim to help address these problems (nothing there yet, before you go a-googling). My first video is going to be on the common misconceptions surrounding Newton's Laws of Motio, specifically the third.
    To take the channel beyond that, though, I'm looking for submissions of either awkward questions or common misconceptions that your kids (or staff) have displayed. If you have any other ideas, please share those too ^_^

2. A great idea but perhaps Youtube isn't the best host as most schools ban it.... just a thought.

3. I had intended it as a resource for Teachers to browse at home when tackling a topic outside of their comfort zone... but that's certainly a consideration worth accounting for.
    Perhaps embedding the videos on a separate blog would help mitigate that problem?

4. Yes, the blog idea is good. Perhaps like "undertenminutes" - this is a great CPD blog.

5. Thanks ^^
    I have begun to configure a Wordpress account at http://www.sciencefaction.co.uk
    No videos yet, though!

6. First video is up. Newton's Third Law of Motion
    I plan to make one every week or so, but I need your ideas and problems, guys!
    Next week I plan to cover the Seasons, but after that, I'm rather at a loose end so far. I'm sure I can come up with something, but I'd prefer to start a proper exchange sooner rather than later!
    Again, the web address is found here. Feel free to comment here, there or even on the YouTube page.

7. Great videos! I appreciate that these were made to address possible teacher misconceptions, but it would be even more useful if they were made with primary children in mind.
    How about a teacher video with all the background information and minsconception-addressing, and a linked pupil video showing/explaining the concept in a fun, easily accessible way?
    It would also be a great idea, come September, to invite pupils to make and upload their own videos explaining/demonstrating scientific concepts!

8. OK, thanks.
    I am deliberately not looking at the videos yet as I am deliberately not doing any school work for the rest of this week, and probably the next 6. At least.
    I am semi-retiring and really looking forward to it.
    However, I have not yet weaned myself off this site.