1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This year I am refusing to give to Children in need

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpy-old-man, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I watched it all night, but haven't given any money!

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Anything involving Terry Wogan and/or Bruce Foreskin and all those simpering "sincere" self-publicising "celebs" is to be avoided at all cost.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

CIN does nothing for me (I don't like children TBH [​IMG]) but I enjoy Comic Relief!

4. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Fortunately I am singing in my community choir concert tonight so will be able to avoid it

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The very worst thing about Children in Need and their ilk is the stuff that they encourage people to buy. No one needs a spotty scarf or a bit of plastic to go round their wrist or any of the other tat that's sold to raise money for these appeals. On the one hand we've got 'eco schools' and recycling and so on and on the other children being encouraged to buy stuff to support a charity. Couldn't they be a bit more imaginative and sell invisible stuff, in other words, people donate money in exchange for...nothing.

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Don't even get me started!!
    'Look at me,aren't I wonderful giving to charity!'[​IMG]

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I hate the fact that it so hard to escape the enforced giving...some of the older school kids get permission to miss the first school lesson and collect donations from people waiting at the bus-stop...people accost you on every street corner and wave a collecting tin under your nose...in the supermarket there is a supervised bag-pack in aid of Children In Need...the staff at the library cafe wear 'funny' hats and just as you are sitting down with your cuppa they come collecting....and you feel sdo guilty at refusing - after all, it's for 'the children'....
    and then all the good TV is taken off and we get rubbish shows interspersed with appeals, every 30 seconds or so, for more money.....and the pseudo-hysteria in the studio when the totals are annopunced.
    It's not that I don't like giving to charity....and I'm honestly not the grouch that this post implies..I have a few causes that I support ...I just dislike these big Telethon Charity events.

8. i agree that there's no need to give money in exchange for a scarf or a wristband and i'd be happier giving a couple of quid in exchange for nothing. it's the same thing that annoys me about flipping charities i support sending me glossy newsletters every quarter. no, i don't need a window sticker, just put my money to good use.
    the first, and last, time i watched CIN i had had a couple of glasses of wine, sobbed through one report and then donated 25 quid via text.

sorry for lack of capitals, the kiddo has removed my left shift key from the laptop.[​IMG]

9. I'm another non giver for CIN, I don't aprove of one of the charities they donate too - I like to have some control over where my money goes.

10. Well, this year I felt moved to give some money.

11. I watched the first 5 minutes and felt a movement too.

12. I only watched ten minutes (the bit with the massive choir)