1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This time next week

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

We will all be celebrating how wonderful it is to have light evenings again, along with the relief that those of us with animals to look after won't be cursing them when they wake us up to early.

When I say all of us will be celebrating, I need to exclude that handful of fruitcakes who loathe summer and relish the misery of winter with its dark evenings

I haven't met a soul who doesn't regard the oncoming of sudden darkness in late October with regret and feel overjoyed when the clocks are returned to sensible hours. Those who enjoy the unnecessary misery of winter that gets inflicted on the rest of us are never around to keep us company. I can only surmise that they are in doing stuff that is best done in the dark and not spoken about, so why does anyone take a blind bit of notice of their wishes?

Mangleworzle, GLsghost and Jesmond12 like this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Do we change the clocks then? It did seem light today but quite chilly still.

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's the tyranny of the morning people - miserable gits.

cissy3 likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well initially the mornings get darker. That's OK actually - I've been waking up at the crack of dawn this week.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Longer days, shorter nights and, with a bit of luck, warmer weather soon. Each year I loathe winter more and even the fact that I don't have to get up at 6am doesn't make it more palatable.

ilovesooty, lexus300 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Pah!
    Some of us prefer the lighter mornings.....:p

7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I'm not a fan of the lighter mornings at the moment. The baby has been waking progressively earlier, despite blackout blinds. I'm hoping his first birthday will coincide with an extra hour in bed next week :)

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There's nothing anyone can do, or would wish to do to prevent them, Didy. Keeping to sensible time all year long isn't going to prevent you enjoying your mornings. It would merely enable the rest of us to enjoy the most of the days.

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

You are presuming that "the rest of us" agree with you.

It ain't necessarily so ;)

cuteinpuce and delnon like this.
  10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

As much as I like the lighter evenings (and associated beer garden weather) that summer brings, I do prefer the consistency of having a pretty constant time for sunrise and sunset that I had when I lived close to the equator. It seemed to suit my body clock better and I didn't notice the same winter dip in mood that I usually get here in the UK.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I lived pretty much on the equator for a year, Hated the light at 6, dark at 6 regime.

Hot weather should = summer = light late.

Never did get used to it, I found it depressing.

cissy3 likes this.
  12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Y'see, I'm the opposite.
    I hated that it didn't stay light late into the night.

(My best wishes with the little one; I remember times like that well :))

Edit: sort of like @Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle likes this.
  13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Substitute 4 year old and welcome to my world.....fortunately, after an early morning dash to the toilet, said not quite a toddler/not yet a full little boy does go back to bed.....

14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Development of the day is that now nearly 1 year old not only wakes up at 5.30, but can now climb out of his cot.

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maleficent is a winter person as befits her. I enjoy light evenings on my river but miss dark cold mornings for having a hot bath.

16. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I like the cold but dislike the dark. I'm a cold weather being :)

@Orkrider2 Prison break with a one year old at 5.30am. That does not sound pretty.

sabrinakat likes this.
  17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I've been celebrating every little victory against the tyranny of Winter for weeks now: the first snowdrops (Yay!), the first daffies (woop! woop!) the lighter mornings (don't have to go out at 7am in the cold, wet, windy darkness to do fox duty), the shining orb of heat and light inching higher in the sky, the delights of frog spawn, hyperactive birds and lambs . . . but yes, the clocks changing is always a turning point.

ilovesooty likes this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I went out in a jacket instead of a winter coat yesterday - whoop, whoop!

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Out in t-shirts here, yesterday. Back to being much colder today though.

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Put my washing on the line for the second week running. Leap forward into spring.