1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This Summer's AQA Spec. B Paper 2 Writing Query: Views Much Appreciated

Discussion in 'English' started by JaneBennet, May 20, 2011.

1. JaneBennet

JaneBennet New commenter

<font size="2">Hi,</font><font size="2">Long-time browser, first-time poster! I'd really appreciate your opinions on a recent English Language exam. </font><font size="2">My Year 11s have just sat AQA Spec. B Paper 2 , which has a writing question on Analyse/Review/Comment. The question was: "Your local paper is asking for articles for a series called "Never to be forgotten". Write your article which analyses why a particular place or person is, for you, never to be forgotten." </font>combine an objective tone (probably by, among other things, using phrases they've encountered in exemplar analytical writing such as "some may argue..." - usually ideal for analysis!) with the highly personal nature of the question. I do worry that stronger candidates generally could be at a disadvantage for sensing these contradictory expectations and trying to address them in their responses, while a lower ability candidate who wasn't aware of them and (for example!) explained why s/he enjoyed a seaside holiday, may actually be on safer ground and better off...
    <font size="2">Any thoughts would be much appreciated!</font>

2. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

I thought it was a really strangely worded question too. A lot of my kids are convinced they have failed because they didn't know how to tackle it. I've reassured them that every candidate in the country will also have struggled - your post has reassured me that it's not just my teaching! We'll find out in August, I guess!

3. JaneBennet

JaneBennet New commenter

Hi sweetie!
    Thanks for your reply. I've said the same to my lot - that the marking focusses on the positive, the Board should take into account any trends in how students responded etc. etc. I'm reassured that it's not just me, though!
    I wonder whether anyone else feels as we do.