1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This scares me

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Delerium, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Delerium

Delerium New commenter

colacao17 likes this.
  2. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Good grief. This is something I'd expect to see from Trump. To see it in the UK is genuinely extremely concerning.

bessiesmith2 and hplovegame48 like this.
  3. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

The last point is interesting.
    Does that mean we are at least obliged to criticise the government's illegal actions?
    [​IMG]

Morninglover likes this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

From the article referred to above, there is this:

Department for Education (DfE) guidance issued on Thursday for school leaders and teachers involved in setting the relationship, sex and health curriculum categorised anti-capitalism as an “extreme political stance” and equated it with opposition to freedom of speech, antisemitism and endorsement of illegal activity.

It doesn't seem to mention History or Geography.

agathamorse, nomad and peter12171 like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Read the article before being scared! The guidance refers to Relationships, Sex and Health Education.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We teach about WW2, but we don't promote Nazism.
    We teach about the slave trade, but we don't promote the trading of human flesh.
    Similarly we can teach about all kinds of things, without promoting them.

In RSE, it is fine to say we should not use extreme material or material that could be seen to promote extremism in any area of life. Hence the guidance above.

Mind you, there are a fair number of people who would like to overthrow capitalism! :)

Jonntyboy, agathamorse, nomad and 5 others like this.
  7. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

To USE resources and to discuss them are not the same thing. For example, most of us would be appalled if colleagues used the writings of Hitler as a suggestion/recommendation to our pupils (and before you say that would never happen, some schools in London were found to be using texts that advocated subjugating women/imposing Muslim rule in 2017/8). However, talking about such texts, and discussing how dangerous they can be, can be argued to be a positive thing.

JaneBennet and Alice K like this.
  8. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

There is definitely a growing anti-capitalist feeling among the young - but I don't think they're getting it from school.

Probably every generation has its anticapitalism moment, but this one does seem different.

Just wait until they include anticapitalism in the prevent scheme and oblige us to report it.

nomad likes this.
  9. unpleasantsmells

unpleasantsmells New commenter

I find it interesting that all material produced by a group which has expressed anti-capitalist views is banned even if the material itself doesn't say anything about it. So if I wanted to use a leaflet produced by Anti-Capitalists UK which was about nut-farming, I couldn't. Most peculiar.

10. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

Do we need to research the previous statements made by organisations when we use their resources? How would we go about finding that information? How would one search for that in print/videos/the entirety of the internet? For example, I have no idea if the charities or media outlets that produced somes of the YouTube clips that I use in lessons have ever expressed anti-capitalist views. If the clip is about something like climate change, they may well have. A list of banned organisations would be helpful, just for clarity and transparity. I image it would also highlight what a dangerous policy this is too.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  11. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

A list of organisations that should be banned because of something that they stated in the past would show how impossible this would be to enforce.

12. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

That bit in the NT where Jesus turns over the tables in the temple because they're ripping people off in a holy place? Which organisation gets banned for having produced that?

blazer likes this.
  13. Delerium

Delerium New commenter

If we teach “An Inspector Calls” - a GCSE text - which is clearly anti-capitalist, are we breaking the law?

14. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

No. Look at the previous responses. This advice only applies to the religion, sex and health curriculum (basically PHSE lessons).

In addition, schools are advised not to use resources from organisations that desire to end free and fair elections, that are opposed to free speech, that use racist language, or that endorse illegal activity. Again, this all refers to the religion, sex and health curriculum. I doubt many people would have an issue with those parts of the advice.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Delerium

Delerium New commenter

Interesting.
    Most of you are talking to me as if I hadn’t read the whole article. I have. I know it specifies PHSE lessons, in an attempt to stop teachers (famously leftist) from using material backbencher Tories wouldn’t like.
    It scares me because it’s a short step from forbidding certain material or ideologies being taught, to repression of ideas and ideologies altogether.
    Outlawing ideas was never the way to win. Literature teaches us that. If they come for PHSE and no one speaks up, what is next?

BW12345 and bessiesmith2 like this.
  16. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

BW12345 likes this.
  17. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

Shusshh...

18. Morninglover

19. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

The whole of human history as far back as we know it has been a story of power grabs, one family, race, tribe, nation or other group trying to get the advantage over another, wars, conquests, battles, treason, lust, selfishness and so on.
    There's absolutely no reason why, in 2020, one group should be singled out as victim or oppressor more than any other.

alex_teccy likes this.
  20. Morninglover

Thus speaks someone with little or no knowledge of history, let alone modern society...

BW12345 and phlogiston like this.