1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This place is dead.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

And it's pretty boring now too - gone are the days of rapid discussion, fun and chat. Gone of the days of silliness and entertainment.
    It's a waste of time even looking here now - sure you can find a few threads that you can post on, but it's not a patch on how it was 5 years ago, which is a shame.

If you see me hanging around here, kick me off towards something more exciting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI14wfWJax8&feature=related From 50 seconds!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

And it's pretty boring now too - gone are the days of rapid discussion, fun and chat. Gone of the days of silliness and entertainment.
    It's a waste of time even looking here now - sure you can find a few threads that you can post on, but it's not a patch on how it was 5 years ago, which is a shame.

If you see me hanging around here, kick me off towards something more exciting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI14wfWJax8&feature=related From 50 seconds!

3. I have to agree with you. I tend only really to pop in during holiday time now, kills a bit of time while I'm having a cup of tea.
    Things changed for the worse when the site changed to this format, imo, and of course the gazillion trolls and socks that turned up at the same time. The introduction of so many differnet forum sections (cookery/entertainment etc.) has also taken away a lot of the interaction that we used to have.
    I still have a game in my hotlist - I check in occassionally, but haven't posted on it in a long time - it has about 40 new posts in months of me not looking at it. 4/5 years ago it could easily have had that in a night!
    I remember not being able to keep up with what was being posted!

4. Yep, I agree.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Bring back Bill!

6. There aren't any trolls, or socks. New members are now pre moderated which contributes to the quiet nature of the forum.

7. OK, I think I know what a 'troll' is in this sense, but what's a sock?
    [​IMG]

8. I assumed they were the same thing. Mumsnet, and a couple of other larger forums sometimes 'attract' them as well. Most are silly and/or annoying but sometimes a slightly more malevolent one will join and either deliberately target or upset somebody or sometimes create an (often tragic) back story which turns out to be untrue.

9. Similar but different. If you google, you'll get a definition of each.
    The lack of them here has improved the site, and yes, it has made it quiter, but the delay in removing the problem led a lot of people to stop posting, which also makes it quieter. A double whammy if you like.
    There were trolls and socks on the old site, but in my experience, they were never as destructive as they managed to be here, in fact, they were sometimes quite amuzing! This new site seemed to be a magnet for them.

10. It seems to me that the main issue is the number of fora that could easily be incorporated into Personal (as they were, I suppose). At one stage threads started on Personal were summarily moved to whichever forum the moderator on that day thought they should be on. I think people very understandably got fed up of that.
    There are some areas which have so little traffic they really are a waste of space. And generally I think whichever forum you post on you need a response within a few hours or you just give up and go home.
    There were lots of threads which I think were moved to Entertainment which I used to enjoy reading but did not post on. However, I never look on entertainment so I certainly don't contribute at all now. Massive loss, I am sure.

11. Hi Lil
    We used to chat frequently on here !
    I feel I still spend too long on here but as you say its not so much fun. I can think of two reasons, possibly. Firstly making more forums. I don't bother going onto games and would have always answered questions about food but don't notice them on the cookery forum.
    Secondly when you replied you could see all the previous posts and reply with the names of previous posters. if like me you had forgotten or concerned in case you got the wrong poster as the TES police will pounce on you. So it's become impersonal because when someone replies by name a conversation usually strikes up.
    Now a question.
    I have friends coming for tea. What cake do I feel like making ? Can't have nuts in it.

12. Ooh - lemon dribble, every time! No contest.
    Or scones?

13. courgette! I love courgette cake!

14. Agree with all of the above, especially the cake (dribbles with desire). I was just thinking yesterday that the number of posters I actually ever engage with on here amounts to maybe 30, and we've already all said all we're ever going to say to each other on any subject.

15. I think not Lily, and I will remedy that very soon. As soon as I think of something scintillating.

16. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Just wondering why you've changed from Les Dawson to Mother Theresa. [​IMG]

17. Don't want to become typecast.

18. BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

19. Well cake in the oven!
    I had a very sickly lemon drizzle cake c/o M&S with my sister on Monday. I had carrot (birthday) cake on Sunday. Hot brownie for dessert at the pub on Monday and have bought reduced bargain American cheesecake and been having a small slice every evening as my son was supposed to take the rest back home with him.
    My friend used to grow lots of fruit and veg and would eat it all meaning months of rhubarb and courgettes. So for her husband's sake I have not made courgette cake but a nuttella and grand marnier cake. Have you spotted the problem ? Pleased to find the little village shop had nuttella I returned home happy to realise that it contains hazelnuts ! So have replaced the nuttella with cocoa hoping it will turn out ok.
    I like holidays ! Lots of teas with cake. I'm off for the weekend to stay at an award winning tea rooms (with B&B)