1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This man killed six innocent people, but still isn't being prosecuted!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Dec 7, 2015.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Surely this is wrong?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/glasgow-bin-lorry-driver-harry-6967297

"Glasgow bin lorry driver Harry Clarke "deliberately misled" doctors over his medical history in order to keep his job before a fatal smash which killed six people - a report is set to say.

Six people were killed after the vehicle driven by Mr Clarke ploughed into pedestrians in Glasgow city centre on December 22 last year.

Mr Clarke, 57, blacked out behind the wheel in the moments before the crash and had suffered a history of severe dizziness, fainting and vertigo.

An inquiry into the deaths concluded in August and Sheriff John Beckett is set to release his report into the findings of the inquiry at midday today.

The BBC and Sky News reports the inquiry found Mr Clarke "deliberately concealed relevant information from the DVLA" in order to gain and retain jobs and licences."

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I believe the incident should have been investigated properly by the police at the outset. There should not have been an inquiry. This was an act which demanded a criminal prosecution.

Dragonlady30 and FrankWolley like this.
  3. FrankWolley

His lack of contrition & remorse, let alone empathy for the victims, is truly awful - almost evidence that he is a psychopath, I'd say.

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I don't know the law and how it could be applied in this case but I hope there is some way that he will have to face his actions in court. I can understand someone wanting to keep working, but at the cost of all these lives?

5. FrankWolley

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I don't understand how he managed to drive with those conditions. After a brain haemorrhage 4 years ago and then the stroke from a year ago I informed DVLA and had 2 periods when I did not drive until cleared to do so by my GP! Quite how he got around that I don't know but if he deliberately set out to deceive then surely he should be prosecuted?

7. grumpydogwoman

Yes, he should and I think it's plain for all to see that he did set out to deceive his new employer.

8. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I think the point is he deliberately misled doctors (so the medical report to the DVLA would not ban him presumably) but one wonders then why he has admitted it now.

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Unfortunately the law as it stands requires the driver to notify DVLA, which assumes they have both the capacity and inclination to do so. When my bipolar husband was manic - high as a kite and totally unpredictable - we could only tell him that he needed to notify DVLA and that he shouldn't be driving; he just carried on. There was no procedure whereby we or his GP could notify DVLA.
    Ironically, my son, who was also diagnosed with bipolar, notified DVLA straight away and was then penalised by having his full licence withdrawn and replaced with a one year licence.

10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

If the experience of many others is to be taken into account, had he accurately reported his medical history neither his employer at the time or, often more importantly, their insurers, would have allowed him to drive that vehicle.

11. grumpydogwoman

I am pretty sure he was asked the question when taken on by the council and lied. Read it somewhere. I may be wrong.

12. grumpydogwoman

A five-week inquiry has now resulted in a scathing report of Clarke's actions leading up to that day, reported the BBC. Sheriff John Beckett QC, leading the inquiry, found Clarke misled doctors about a 40-year history of dizziness and blackouts and that he "repeatedly lied in order to gain and retain jobs and licences". This included misleading doctors about an earlier incident when he fainted while driving a bus in Glasgow in April 2010.

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

The whole idea of notification seems so woolly. I had my first diagnosed minor stroke 3 years ago but was told not to drive for a month by a student nurse working in the Neurology department. When I asked my GP for confirmation, he was shocked that the consultant had not mentioned it. He admitted that he should have told me too! If it was part of the procedure that the medics took responsibility for notifying the DVLA, this situation may not have happened. Self notification is just too woolly as I wrote earlier.