1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This Letters and Sounds is just baffling me.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mrszzz, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry your thread got derailed but the best advice I can offer is for you to assess the class to see where they actually are. These FREE ones from Debbie are really useful and will inform what you need to teach next. It sounds as if the previous teacher has been working very slowly through phase 2 so even if you decide to start over providing you keep it pacey you can still cover everything thoroughly.
    Personally I wouldn't spend my day writing down everything the children do ... why? Write down what is important and keep it realistic I've seen some crazy observations that must have taken hours and tell you absolutely nothing about what the child can do ...unless picking their nose has become an ELG
    good luck[​IMG]
    and

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Picking their noses is not just an ELG, it majors heavily in the KS1 and KS2 curriculum too, along with eating the harvest. At some point they also start to read and recite the science book "Why eating bogies is good for you". I think you should leave the observations to the parents. You can then do some fun and good stuff with them during the day, and the parents can provide you some great entertainment on video, paper, phone etc and you will learn some delightful things about those dear children that you will never otherwise see.

3. mystery10

Thanks for the CLIC link Msz.
    Surely there are not the tomes and tomes of stuff world-wide for decades and decades about numeracy and numeracy difficulties are there, in the same way as for litereacy? And where are the threads like this where primary teachers argue about numeracy and teaching methods? I look forward to being pointed in the right direction again Msz!

4. Msz

I once went on a course where we had been asked to bring along an obserstation and one woman had 5 or 6 sides of A4 detailing how many times this child had picked her nose and hitched up her knickers while playing in the water tray and didn't understand why it wasn't useful in planning next steps (unless teaching her how to blow her nose ..)

5. Msz

On Primary where anything with Big in it's name is ridiculed and dismissed [​IMG]

6. Msz

It was but never let a man tell you size doesn't matter [​IMG]

7. mystery10

Usually means they are concealing something.

8. Msz

9. Phew, I'm exhausted. I suppose getting so hot under the collar on here saves on central heating bills. Maizie has always been fiercely protective of Debbie (and brought me into line in the past}. Yolandalicante - I love the way you push us to qualify any statements. BUT the poor OP must wonder what's hit her. Hopefully she'll feel her way gently in her initial (initiation) stage and draw her own conclusions in time. And it's TIME that we are no longer afforded anymore in education. We are looking for a magic answer, a solution to each and every problem. To state the obvious, we all know that there isn't one and only one answer. We provide for those who are capable of learning in a smilar way at the time, and then look for an alternative for those who aren't. And it's actually those children who really make us learn our craft.
    Hope you had a great Xmas everyone. Sweltering here in Perth; 38C by NYE... no conga in the snow for me.

10. gcf

gcf

" We provide for those who are capable of learning in a smilar way at the time, and then look for an alternative for those who aren't.'

And after 50 years of indulging in finding new and exciting alternative ways to bamboozle struggling readers, the penny still hasn't dropped.

Things seem pretty dire in Australia - I'm not surprised.