1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This isn't a government showing leadership - it's a non-stop Tory campaigning machine.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Aug 10, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Two articles in today's news saying pretty much the same thing.
    https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ermanent-campaigning-machine-johnson-cummings

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...l-refugees-schools-nigel-farage-a9663056.html

Can a government in a perpetual state of campaigning, continue to sideline the business of governing unless it benefits the campaign until the next election? Traditionally, the first few years of a new government are used to tell us the bad news about the state the previous government left the economy in, and campaigning is left to the last year, but since we've had four successive Tory govenments over the last decade, they can't tell us the last lot were bloody useless, particularly as it was led by the current PM.

Perpetual campaigning seems to be the model of government that Trump chose to adopt and all the signs are it will be his downfall, particularly as his legacy will be remembered much like the Emperor Nero's was after the Great Fire of Rome and who would be surprised if Johnson's is too?

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Agreed.

TCSC47 and modelmaker like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

I agree in part. And I don’t think much of this Gvt - but other parties have also campaigned throughout.

The Tories did get Brexit done (if one dares call it that) , they did win the last 4 elections and sadly they still look like the best of a bad bunch.

When all UK party politics is so very weak and all are perpetually campaigning they start to look alike. We need stronger opposition with a real purpose that has the people on side, and we are not seeing that.

peter12171, TCSC47 and nizebaby like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The capabilities of the mayor of England are limited to looking stupid in photo ops and writing articles in friendly newspapers.

Say what you like about Sturgeon - what she did yesterday with the exam results in Scotland took real courage. I really cannot see our current leader doing something like that.

All they seem to want to do is blame others for their mistakes.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

A historian was telling me about this. He said it comes from the USA. There is always some kind of election looming so they are always campaigning. He was also saying how cheap the English politicians are to buy through donations. In the US, it costs quite a bit to buy a politician but in the UK it really is very inexpensive. You can buy influence for small tens of thousands. But yes, continual campaigning is what the Americans do and so the Bannon acolytes have adopted it here. You are starting to see government money be diverted to some of these with rules being bent beyond sensible reason. That’s a Cummins strategy. You can break and bend rules without worrying about constitutional objections.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It is not very difficult to see this country being in a very parlous state next Winter.

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

The Tory party has greatly disappointed me of late. They are not at all the party that I used to know. They have their friends who clearly include the building industry and who "donate" lots of money for favours. And of course, they have a significant amount of the media to push their cause. They have abandoned any semblance of wanting to actually run the country for the benefit of all. The term used to be "one nation Tories". -- My Aarrss! Certainly not nowadays!

Cummings has had direct talks with Trump's people and has instituted much of their campaigning tactics over here. As this string indicates, they have spent all their time getting into government and now they don't know what to do. Johnson / Cummings have clearly risen to their level of incompetency. I know many people who have left the party and many who will not be voting for them again. But they feel there is no alternative at the moment. What people want is for conservative economics, but certainly not the cheating politics that the present day Tory party are practising nowadays.

monicabilongame and peter12171 like this.
  8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

To add, Boris reached his level of incompetency when he entered parliament. "Have I Got News for You", very funny program that it is, has a lot to answer for.

magic surf bus likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One of the very worst aspects is that everything seems to take place in secrecy and most people are completely unaware what is coming.

Brexit will come as a great shock to this country. I have no confidence that this government will manage it in any responsible way.

Cummings is a dangerous zealot.

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

And then there is Gove who found Cummings and gave him to Boris.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Cummings' speciality has always been campaign management. He masterminded the Leave campaign.

That's the limit of his capabilities.

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

That was his finest half hour!

TCSC47 likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The whole mystery surrounding Cummings came apart earlier this year. He is no more capable than the rest of them and as an unelected advisor should NOT have the power that he (allegedly) has.

This is not going to end well - control is already slipping.

14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

This government is in the pay of asset strippers: demolish the edifice and then sell off the rubble.

monicabilongame and TCSC47 like this.
  15. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Let’s take control back (and have a more autocratic government) and also let’s stop having unelected officials unless they are our own unelected officials. The worse part is that we are experiencing perhaps the most autocratic government ever. Having got used to telling people what they can and can’t do they won’t take giving up these powers easily. I can see a Starmer government putting into place constitutional safeguards and infrastructure to protect the country from such wanton sabotage in the future.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A Starmer Government won't do that. Having got into power they won't take any steps that would weaken their chances of staying in power. Remember PR? Neither the Tories or Labour wanted it as it would result in them having fewer Mps. So they connived to fix the referendum so that it would never happen.

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Lets really hope so. Something has to be done to protect our democracy. We are not yet at the same low level of some other parts of the world but nobody can say we are not heading that way.