1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This is unforgiveable

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, May 25, 2019.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Too many of these kinds of stories to make me believe the sincerity of the apologies that come later.
    I am particularly angered when I read about guide dogs being refused entry, but any kind of disabled being mis treated is just not acceptable.

What bothers me is that this seems to be more and more common and it's a case of wait until someone speaks out. The law is being disregarded and only when it makes the paper is any sort of apology given and promises of retraining made.
    It is not good enough.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

surely just one ignorant employee, who had now been disciplined.

bombaysapphire and LondonCanary like this.
  4. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

If they have been trained for the job this is something that should not be happening at all.

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

well, the training is on line, very long, and may not all be taken in, or paid attention to

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The food is terrible anyway. Never eat one of their sunday lunches.

Greene King seems be taking over the world.

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Training? Even really dim people wouldnt think there was a policy to refuse to serve people in wheelchairs

9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The Disability Discrimination Act has been around for decades and no one should be ignorant of it.

Ironically, the most problems I've had is with schools and colleges where staff happily park in disabled bays and say "we don't have any disabled students here so it doesn't matter".

I then broadcast that disabled students aren't welcome at those establishments.

They also try character assassination. Several colleges in Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire tried it on with me in the early 2000s.

I was the one with the problem! I was making a fuss over nothing! Didn't I know that those staff members had been at that establishment for decades etc.

It was a joy to dismantle their arguments and roundly condemn them for what they are. The LEA and Council were just the same. I sorted them out as well and offered them training via my Inclusive Education service.

Backing paper and wallpaper glue is a good way to sort out their cars. Paste the backing paper right round their windows and screens and write a message on it.

What we need is a minimum £50,000 fine for any establishment breaking the Disability Discrimination Act.

Plus a £10,000 fine for any individual and instant dismissal which, if not carried out, will be met with a further £20,000 fine for the employer.

People obviously aren't listening and need it drilled into their heads.

towncryer and LondonCanary like this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Last week I helped a virtually blind woman in her 90s apply for a blue badge. Aside from her sight problem, she has a mobility problem and a history of falls. She treasures the opportunities she gets to leave her flat, i.e. when someone offers to take her shopping, because being virtually blind, she can't read or watch the telly properly.

Initially I went online to complete the form, but at some point it asked to enter the council she is registered disabled with and didn't recognise the answer, even though I clicked on the suggestion it provided.

I called the adult social services dept at the council and spent 45 minutes waiting for the phone to be answered before I could ask to be put through to section that provide the blue badges. All the while I was waiting, I was being told that they are extremely busy and that I should attempt to access their online services.

Eventually I managed to persuade someone to put a form in the post. You would not believe how many pages it comprised and how many times it asked the same questions in different ways.

Reading through the list of qualifications for a blue badge, I found easily enough that anyone who is registed blind automatically qualifies, but nowhere on the form was a box to enter the blind registration number. It's unbelieveable how difficult they make it to get one of these badges. Is it any wonder we see a quarter of supermarket car parks justifiably given over for disabled parking, yet the parking bays largely remain empty?

towncryer likes this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

But she is OK in a Greene King pub?

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

No one should drink in a chain pub anyway. Esp not Greene King -they suck.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I just asked. She said she can't see what people see in pubs anymore.