1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This is the Rant Away thread!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Most of us will need a safe space to have a good moan tomorrow, it maybe a rude house guest, awful food, a terrible present, flatulent pets etc. Feel free to offload on here (just remember to lock your phone if you leave the room!)

I will start.

Eldest was due home from Uni at 3pm. A meal was prepared, house tidied, ‘welcome home’ message written on the whiteboard. Thoughtless so and so decided to go out in London rather than coming home and is currently drunk in the capital with two suitcases. That will be tomorrow ruined then with the hangover from hell (if they ever make it home).
    Plus I’ve got to spend the day with my ex-husband.
    Wish me luck.

caress, bevdex, Alice K and 16 others like this.
  2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Good luck. You'll need it.

Laphroig and (deleted member) like this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Hope it goes better than you are expecting.

sodalime, alex_teccy, Lalad and 2 others like this.
  4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

1 person likes this.
  5. Over_the_hill

Thank you. Yes of course I will make sure to be grateful for the positive things about tomorrow! My cooking is good so the food and drink will be decent and I’m looking forward to Gavin and Stacey and Call the Midwife. I’ve got a few presents from my school children under the tree, which I will very much appreciate.

It’s just all the other stuff...

Alice K, Norsemaid, sodalime and 5 others like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You know I've had a good little cry today. For so many years I was so stressed at Christmas trying to keep everyone happy and not always having a positive attitude. Yet those very frustrations are now what I miss now we no longer have our 'elderlies' with us.

So whatever frustrations you may undergo, try to enjoy something about the time, as it's those happy memories which will be all that's left in the future. And all those stresses will just seem like little niggles.

bevdex, Nellyfuf2, Curae and 19 others like this.
  7. sparklepig2002

8. Over_the_hill

I would give anything to be able to have a chat with my dad tomorrow morning. :( Instead I will make a coffee and sit and stare at the poinsettia I bought to remind me of him, they were his favourites.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I think we've got a blocked drain. With just two of us it's coped ok, now there are 5 and the other 3 are younger and so prone to multiple showers and take great joy in flushing the loo multiple times so it's not coping so well any more. My current strategy is to look the other way and hope for the best at least until they've gone again.

10. sparklepig2002

My mil died on Christmas Eve.:( We raised a glass to her today.And to other family and friends no longer with us.

bevdex, Alice K, towncryer and 7 others like this.
  11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What's the worse thing that could happen tonight other than finding out that Jimmy Boyd turns out to be your adopted son and you were kissing Santa underneath the missletoe after your husband was fast asleep?

I bet Norman Stanley Fletcher had nightmares about the door to his cell being rudely opened and finding Jimmy Boyd chucked in. How would he cope with Harry Grout's questions over what the nark he shared a cell with might also have mentioned?

12. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I found out today that a very dear friend has a heart problem, another is in hospital having contracted a virus that she has been told she may not recover from, and our parish priest has been given only weeks to live after being diagnosed with cancer.

Tomorrow I will spend Christmas day with my grown up children and my ex-husband - and I will feel truly blessed while so many others are coping with so much.

13. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Having just got back from an evening round at some friends my rant is about a 17 year old girl who was there (daughter of another friend) who farted at least 5 times whilst we were playing a board game and the last one was particularly smelly. The farts were noisy but she didn't say excuse me or even acknowledge she had done it. It was very odd. But then she is an odd sort of girl and so are her parents. To be quite honest I don't like them. There's just something about them, apart from the farts, that I find a bit off putting. They seem very self centred and everything has to revolve around this daughter who is manipulative but the parents can't seem to see it.
    well there, I've said it. it feels good to be a *****.

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

At least you dont have to see (or smell) them tomorrow.

15. Over_the_hill

That’s so rude. The teacher in me would have blurted out ‘Pardon Me!’

Eldest returned home drunk about 11. I pretended to be asleep to avoid a row.

I have arranged to go to church with a dear friend tomorrow morning. It will be nice to get out the house for an hour!

Alice K, Norsemaid, towncryer and 2 others like this.
  16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I am looking forward to tomorrow when my responsibilty is over. On Monday I had a two hour conversation with my Mum as she was refusing to come for Xmas lunch (same scenario every year ) because I was / am 'antagonistic ' . Hey ho ! Bizarrely I am feeling a bit more upbeat about getting through the day though - like others contemplating those ( just lost a very old school friend to cancer ) would love to be in my position. That said I shall have to dig deep into my dwindling reservoirs of patience and good will - ha ! Our one and only son be here and I appreciate that as his partner ( mental health manager ) always puts in a shift at this time of year...

Alice K, Lalad, towncryer and 3 others like this.
  17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

My ex is here for Boxing Day and bringing my ex mother in law with him:confused:

bevdex, Lalad, towncryer and 5 others like this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Bolt the doors and pretend to be out.

19. Over_the_hill

Sorry to rant so early but I need to.
    When I blow my nose I do it quietly, like you pretty much wouldn’t hear anything. My ex makes this trumpet noise every few minutes that’s so loud the neighbours must hear it, accompanied by ‘It’s the cats, I think I’m allergic!’ :mad::mad::mad: He did once say ‘It’s the dust!’ but he never made that mistake again.

Thanks, I feel better now!

20. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

I know this is not in the seasonal spirit but I find this day such an endurance test because of some awful family dynamics. But I hope others get to enjoy it.