1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This is one for petrol heads only

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, May 21, 2019.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

mathsmutt and nomad like this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well yeah. Nice bit of engineering but WHY? More like a "selfabusa"!

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

A modern day Robin Reliant?

mathsmutt likes this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Why not?

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

With attitude.

6. Ivartheboneless

The company was Reliant the model Robin, hence Reliant Robin. That was a Bond Bug. Bond were another three wheel deathtrap producer taken over by Reliant and they revived the name for the bug, orange three wheel cheese wedge of the early 70s, using parts from the Reliant stable, a tubular chassis and fibreglass tub and lid.

mathsmutt likes this.
  7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

A Bond Bug. I remember when they came out. Largest number I've seen in one go is 13. The lime coloured ones were quite natty.

8. Ivartheboneless

I could see that installation being nice in a Hillman Imp, but it would require a lot more modification. Or how about in an original Fiat 500, the one with the engine in the back, now that could be tasty? At least both of those have the right number of wheels!

mathsmutt and lexus300 like this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I knew it reminded me of something, but I couldn't remember what it was called, so thank you.

I knew someone who had one of the earlier Bond three wheelers. It was the most ridiculous vehicle I've ever travelled in. It had a Villiers motorcycle engine that had to be kick started by climbing into the bonnet.

No reverse gear, so if you couldn't do a three-point turn. When you needed to go in the opposite direction, you needed to get out of the car, lift the front and manually turn it. All in the pi$$ing rain. Not much chance of impressing a date with that I thought, as I stood in the rain myself while this guy carried out the manuever, but then again when I looked at him and listened to his conversation on the way home, I doubted he would ever be able to get a date in the first place.

Come to think of it, now I visualise the guy, he puts me in mind of Madge.

mathsmutt and lexus300 like this.
  10. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Bond did do three wheelers such as the Minicar
    [​IMG]

But they also did four wheels such as the Equipe
    [​IMG]
    Meanwhile Reliant did something a bit more potent
    [​IMG]

And the most famous Reliant wasn't a Robin, it was a Regal Supervan 21E
    [​IMG]

But Reliant did finally get around to adding a fourth wheel.
    [​IMG]

Reliant big claim to fame is that, for a short while, they were the UK's last indigenous, volume car manufacturer.

mathsmutt, nomad and magic surf bus like this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

By far the most stable configuration for a three-wheeler is the reverse tricycle with the single wheel at the back (except when reversing).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

In a school where I taught in Spain there was a British family called Delboy. They had a yellow Reliant Robin. (Not a joke). Kris, a college friend of mine had a 1930s Morgan three-wheeler with the twin JAP engine. When it worked it was faster than a Mini Cooper (80 mph on cable brakes!). But it mostly didn't work. One Saturday morning Kris's dad and I drove out in his Mark II Zodiac to yet another breakdown. Imagine this in a very heavy Polish Accent:

DAD: I dunno why he bother with this bloddy Moggy.
    ME: Well, it's different.
    DAD: Different! Yes! It don't bloddy go.

mathsmutt likes this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

The Kitten was actually quite a good car, because the Reliant 850 engine and gearboxes were good, better than the Mini ones apparently, which were ancient Austin/Morris offerings. The problem for Reliant was they could not make them cheap enough, so a Kitten cost way more than an equivalent mini or other small car, as did the Robin's actually. History of the British car industry is littered with what ifs and dodgy models and, of course, bad clueless management.

mathsmutt, lexus300 and irs1054 like this.
  14. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Forgot about that type
    [​IMG]

The rational for three wheels was because you could drive one on a motorcycle licence with really cheap insurance and road tax. The models of the Isetta, sold on the continent, had four wheels.

At a time when a lot of sole traders plyed their trade with a motorcycle and side car, the Reliant offered a welcome upgrade.

mathsmutt likes this.
  15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I owned a Fiat 600D (similar to the old 500) which was slightly larger it had a crude form of cruise control that worked quite well.

16. Ivartheboneless

Oops, no apostostrofe in "Robins". Sorry punctuationistas!

irs1054 likes this.
  17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Not a petrol head, sorry.
    So I thought "well that does not stop me looking at the video to find out what's being posted." so I did.
    And then I thought I'd look at the YouTube comments-loads of them. They love this thing. They love the turbo moment. They love the fear. They wonder why this bloke only has 20 thousand odd subscribers. They are all jealous.
    Then I looked at the video again, thinking of those adulatory comments. "Can I bring myself to feel this way too?" I wondered. Because I'm not a petrol head, but perhaps it is useful to understand petrol heads.
    The video-they go down a residential street. They hit, dunno, 50, 60, 70 mph? And laugh.
    Then they apparently hit an A road and try out the Turbo. They hit, dunno, 80,90, 100 mph. More? And laugh.

Then I remembered that Public Information TV campaign a year or so ago, quite graphically showing how the difference between driving at 20 and 30 could mean a child's life. Do you remember it? Nobody laughing.

Then I looked at the YouTube comments again, and felt a bit sad.

18. Ivartheboneless

I think you'll find the genral flavour of all the above comments have been in tune with you. Being a "petrolhead" is not the same as being a Richard-head. You can appreciate motors, engines, good engineering, clever design and so on, without wishing to do anything stupid or illegal on the road.

19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sure. But when I said "comments" I did not mean the comments in this thread at all.
    What bothers me is the content of the video, and the following it has whipped up on YouTube. It bothers me seriously. I cannot be the only one who has a personal anecdote about the consequences of dangerous driving.
    The video and the comments depict break neck speed on public roads. And the video shows laughter and the comments show awe.
    27 thousand subscribers to something which is both arrestable and a serious public danger.
    Tsk. That sort of account should be taken down.

20. Ivartheboneless

Others who have shown themselves breaking road traffic laws on Youtube have been prosecuted, because they are providing the evidence of their own crimes. Perhaps the rozzers haven't seen this one yet. I never got past the first bit where it was shown at Santa Pod, and I won't revisit it, so I don't know about breaking the law. If you are that concerned send the link to the fuzz in whatever area they were doing it.